Problem with Internet/TV services. 75/75 requires new ONT when current ONT ran 75/35?
darkclouds

How is a new ONT required for 75/75 internet when the ONT I have was previously running 75/35 internet?  There is no upgrade option available for me to get the 75/75 internet...  It should technically be possible for my ONT to run 75/75...  So why does Verizon now require me to get a new ONT and pay for a tech visit to get at the 75/75...?

March to May 2014 I was paying roughly $100 for

Phone -> Local Area Unlimited

Internet -> 75/35 FIOS Internet

We had netflix for TV, but my mother required cable tv... So I remove Netflix and add FIOS TV...  Big mistake...  Over the next 4 months I've been trying to downgrade our FIOS TV service...  I went from Extreme HD (because Verizon claimed how cheap it was going to be and the bill was always going to be much higher...) I downgraded to what Verizon told me was their lowest TV package... HD Preferred Service...  That was August 2014...  I was getting bills of $160 to $180...  No way in hell.  So I call again in August, September, and October 2014 trying to outright remove anything having to do with Verizon FIOS tv....  but Verizon doesn't want that, they love you to bundle, they love you... So now all of a sudden they have a LOWER...  FIOS TV service called FIOS TV Local.... something that Verizon did not tell me before when I asked them... They said Preferred TV beforehand.

My mother passed away in September 2014 so my father and I have no need for ANYTHING having to do with Verizon FIOS TV.  We have 1x TV in the house that my father watches anything on.  I have a digital HD antenna for all of our local channels for free and I have started up Net Flix which to us has far more value than the free HBO or Showtime that Verizon pushes on us as being free with the FIOS TV Local.  We're paying a $11 or $12 rental fee for this one FIOS box that we don't even use, it just sits there in front of out tv collecting dust.  I would love to return it, because not having to pay an extra $11 or $12 rental fee is a BIG SAVINGS right there.  So what should I do about the TV service, should I just call Verizon and say I want to return this FIOS TV box?

Here's something that bothers me.  In October 2014.  2 weeks ago, I downgraded from Preferred HD to Local TV...  I originally called to remove Verizon TV service, but I was again talked into keeping it for the "value"...  Here's the thing that annoys me.  I was forced to downgrade my internet from 75/35....    to 50/50....  There IS NO OPTION FOR 75/35... or 75/75...

So I talk with a Verizon E-Service rep and they tell me that I need to get a new ONT box + tech fees for the 75/75...

It should TECNICALLY be possible to have 75/75 internet on my current ONT, because it does run from the coaxial cable, its not 150/150 or higher so I know it doesn't need to run from an ethernet cable.  And all Verizon needed to downgrade my internet from 75/35 to 50/50 in October was a simple phone call...  But somehow they can't... or won't offer me the 75/75 internet....  I somehow need a NEW ONT box.... really?

I'd like to have that 75/75 internet if I have to pay tech fees, okay.. but for a new ONT box on a service that already was giving me 75/35... For right this moment I'm going to try calling Verizon again and see about returning my FIOS TV box...

I'm technically on month 9 with my Verizon services...  Internet is the most important.  We don't need or want FIOS tv.

http://www.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/

Here's the funny thing.  If we never touched the FIOS TV earlier this year, Verizon would have speedmatched my 75/35 to 75/75 and I would still likely be running on the same ONT....  I'm not happy.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem with Internet/TV services. 75/75 requires new ONT when current ONT ran 75/35?
MORENOKLAN1
Enthusiast - Level 2

YOU REALLY MIGHT NEED A NEW ONT BECAUSE THAT ONT MIGHT NOT HAVE THE NECESSARY POWER TO PROVIDE ALL THE SPEED YOU'LL WANT OUT OF IT. ON THE PLUS SIDE OF THINGS YOU MIGHT GET A GPON ONT BECAUSE YOUR CURRENT ONT IS BPON CAPABLE ONLY UP TO 100MBPS.

View solution in original post

Re: Problem with Internet/TV services. 75/75 requires new ONT when current ONT ran 75/35?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Not all ONTs are capable of doing 75/75. What is the model number of the ONT you currently have?

0 Likes
darkclouds

I have a Motorlola ONT, I'm not sure where to get the model # though I've never opened them up before myself.

I spent 3+ hours last night talking with different e-service reps getting transferred twice.  I finally got transferred to tech support and they were very helpful in helping me understand various things.  So from what I can understand, my current ONT box only supports up to 50mpbs upload speed, but at the same time it doesn't explain why I was forced to go from 75 download / 35 upload to 50/50 because I was simply downgrading or removing fios tv service...  I don't understand that bit at all.

It looks like I will have to call sales and explain to them, tell them what I need; a replacement ONT box because I want to upgrade to 75/75 and hopefully I can get some of the tech visit fees waived.  The tech guy said I may not need a tech visit, it could possibly be just a central office change.

I also leaned (thanks to tech support) that I can return my fios tv box (subtract  $12 rental fee) to Verizon via the UPS Store free of charge.  I did that today so I'm feeling good about that.  Now I just need to make the call to sales.

0 Likes
darkclouds

I called about upgrading the ONT from bpon to gpon so I can get the 75/75.  From what I'm told, because I live in a multifamily dwelling (I live in a duplex...  I think.), I need to contact the property owner and ask them to "elevate the property" with Verizon, whatever that means.

I was told that Verizon will take most of the costs...  The guy I was on the phone with mentioned construction and I'm like what...  because if that ONT box on the side of the house is all that needs to be replaced, why would there be a need for any construction.. or trenches...  the guy mentioned trenches... really, what?  Its dark outside now, I'll link a picture of my house tomorrow along with the ONT box.  What a pain.

It looks like I'm stuck at 50/50 for the moment...

0 Likes
darkclouds

Here's a question for when I'm signed in to the 'my verizon' site and I click on add/upgrade services.  Why is 150/150 available, 300/300, and 500/500 available for me to upgrade to, while 75/75 is no where to be found...?    That seems a bit shady to me.

0 Likes
darkclouds

Will take some pictures shortly.

0 Likes
darkclouds

Motorola ONT1000-PS-SFU-VZ    Revision A

0 Likes
darkclouds

I took off the customer panel on the ont unit outside on the right side of my house.  From looking at these pictures, the ports and model #....  Do I need a new ont for 75/75 speeds?  This is the ont that I had 75/35 internet on.  There is an ethernet port there, though because its 10/100 I'm not exactly sure what that means in regards to the question, is this a bpon ont or a gpon?

- The inside ont box is  motorola ont 1000-ps-sfu-vz

- The big ont box on the outside of the house has a few different ports and #s  I took some more pictures.

Questions to Answer:

Does this mean I have to upgrade my ont or can I just call and tell Verizon I want the 75/75 speeds?

photo IMG_2770ontedit_zpsa3e77355.jpg photo IMG_2766_zps891891c3.jpg
0 Likes
MORENOKLAN1
Enthusiast - Level 2

YOU REALLY MIGHT NEED A NEW ONT BECAUSE THAT ONT MIGHT NOT HAVE THE NECESSARY POWER TO PROVIDE ALL THE SPEED YOU'LL WANT OUT OF IT. ON THE PLUS SIDE OF THINGS YOU MIGHT GET A GPON ONT BECAUSE YOUR CURRENT ONT IS BPON CAPABLE ONLY UP TO 100MBPS.

darkclouds

Why the caps lock?  Okay well, thank you.  Thats helps...  I wish I was a tech wizard.  🙂  Thank you.

0 Likes