Quantum gateway router poor range and dropped signals after spending time with technician
Jackal771
Enthusiast - Level 1

Our download/upload speeds were 25/15 with poor range and lots of dropped signals so after speaking with tech upgraded to 75/75 and Verizon sent the useless new router to me at no cost. Told me it would give range up to 350 ft and take me to 75/75. Spent LOTS of time with that tech.

Router arrived, installed it and my service was even worse! Very low signal and had to practically sit of the router to get a signal. Contacted tech thru chat. This guy told me they guarantee good signal up to 10' away from the router! Come on!!! After more than an hour of wasting time with him, told me he was "fixing it" by changing router to a different channel he told me to reboot my devices thus ending the chat session. No difference. Had to put the old router back and this quantum gateway waste of my time and sanity is back in the box and ready to ship back to Verizon. My God, I just want a decent connection and speed. What's it gonna take to get some real help? I feel very frustrated.

Re: Quantum gateway router poor range and dropped signals after spending time with technician
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

WiFi is subject to many issue beyond Verizon, or any ISPs, control.  You need to setup your router in an optimal configuration for your location.  To start, do the following:

• Set the router's WiFi mode to performance.
  • Use inSSider or similar to find the best channel at your location.

Know that 5GHz range is much worse than 2.4GHz range.  This is due to physics, not the router.

For more info, use the search feature of this forum to find many discussions about how to improve WiFi speed.  Here's a good one:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Why-your-Wi-Fi-is-slow/td-p/534451

If you have more questions, feel free to post with the understanding that your talking to other customers here.  We only know what you tell us, so be sure to provide the appropriate detail.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Re: Quantum gateway router poor range and dropped signals after spending time with technician
db909
Contributor - Level 3

FIOS and most ISPs ship routers that are average at best.  You can actually buy the Quantum cheaper from Amazon than you can from FIOS and the reviews on Amazon are mixed.

If you want excellent wifi range, turn off the wifi in the FIOS router and go buy a good router and use it as an access point.  That router will work with any ISP in the US should you switch.

0 Likes