Relocating Fios Router to New Room
Saurabh1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in a high rise apartment building and have had FIOS for a couple of years. When it was first installed we had the router (Actiontec MI424 rev I) installed in the master bedroom and the set-top box installed in the living room where our TV was. We have FIOS Digital Coice service on two phones that seem to connect directly to the existing phone wiring outlets in two separate bedrooms.

Now we have been upgraded to 100 Mbps Internet speed and they have mailed us the Quantum Gateway G1100 router. What I would like to do is install the new router in the living room so that my streaming TV devices (Fire TV, Chromecast Ultra) can connect directly to the router using the Ethernet port instead of using WiFi, since the WiFi signal in the living room is OK but not excellent (less strong than master bedroom). 

My question is this. The router package includes a MOCA 2.0 splitter. Can I take the existing coax cable that goes into the set top box and plug it into the splitter and then connect one of the 2 splitter ports into the set top box and the other port into the new router and have it all work together - i.e. have the DVR and phone service work seamlessly?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Relocating Fios Router to New Room
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.

You may want to find a terminator to cap off the old coax where the router was.

BTW, once you move the router, you may not need to conenct via ethernet but wifi should be suitable.

Plus the fact that G1100 rotuer supports 5G WIFI.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.

You may want to find a terminator to cap off the old coax where the router was.

BTW, once you move the router, you may not need to conenct via ethernet but wifi should be suitable.

Plus the fact that G1100 rotuer supports 5G WIFI.

jonjones1
Legend

@Saurabh wrote:

I live in a high rise apartment building and have had FIOS for a couple of years. When it was first installed we had the router (Actiontec MI424 rev I) installed in the master bedroom and the set-top box installed in the living room where our TV was. We have FIOS Digital Coice service on two phones that seem to connect directly to the existing phone wiring outlets in two separate bedrooms.

Now we have been upgraded to 100 Mbps Internet speed and they have mailed us the Quantum Gateway G1100 router. What I would like to do is install the new router in the living room so that my streaming TV devices (Fire TV, Chromecast Ultra) can connect directly to the router using the Ethernet port instead of using WiFi, since the WiFi signal in the living room is OK but not excellent (less strong than master bedroom). 

My question is this. The router package includes a MOCA 2.0 splitter. Can I take the existing coax cable that goes into the set top box and plug it into the splitter and then connect one of the 2 splitter ports into the set top box and the other port into the new router and have it all work together - i.e. have the DVR and phone service work seamlessly?

The direct connection is the best. Wifi is at least 50% of a direct Ethernet connection. Do the set up as you wanted. It is simple to move the new router to your living room you just need electricity and a coaxial cable. Then hook to your set top boxs just have sufficient coaxial. Now for the other places you could use wifi. It depends however if those additional devices can receive the stronger signals. Also older devices will not connect to a 5G wifi signal only 2.4 signal. This is also dependent on the radios in your devices. 

Good Luck

Saurabh1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was able to get everything to work after relocating new Quantum Gateway router to living room as I had planned (using splitter to have one cable go to set top box and another to router). However now I find that the WiFi signal for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi networks is not as strong as the prior Actiontec router. The signals are strong in the living room, but in the bedrooms the 2.4 GHz is in 55 to 60 db range and the 5 GHz is in 60 to 65 db range.

It is a 1300 sq ft apartment so not large. The router is located in center of living room but a few feet from the wall to the next apartment. There is only one wall to the guest bedroom and two walls to the master bedroom. The prior router had 5 bars on the Windows WiFi signal strength in the bedrooms (both guest and master), the new router has 4 bars for the 2.4 GHz channel and 3 bars for the 5 GHz channel. Both have 5 bars in the living room. I have experienced with various channel settings and router placements to get to the above best case. It kind of sucks because it means the 5 GHz is only useful in the living room. Not the end of the world but Verizon was advertising this router as having superior WiFi signal strength. 

0 Likes