Requesting Help Improving Wifi
EddieVT

I have my Actiontec m1424 downstairs in my office, but the signal strength upstairs is not very strong.  

Is it possible to use the Actiontec m1424 is a modem and connect a wifi router to it?  I used to have Comcast in my old house and had my own Modem and Asus RT-AC66U WiFi router and it worked extremely well.  Is it possible to use that wifi router with the current Verizon equipment?  

Is it worth buying/renting the Verizon FiOS Quantum Gateway AC1750 instead?  

Finally, what about an AC wifi range extender?

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Requesting Help Improving Wifi
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The easiest route for you in my opnion would be to use your Asus wifi router as an Access Point.

Do you happen to have any ethernet ran upstairs? That would be the easiest way to implement your router into the current setup. If it's too complicated to run ethernet, you could probably also use Powerline, which uses the electrical wire already in the walls of your house to act as an ethernet cable basically. These ktis can be purchased at most local tech stores most likely. Here is an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA2010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter

The next step would be to put your current WiFi router into "Bridge Mode" - Basically tell it to just to act like it was transparent, and not think that its your main router. The steps to do that on your router are:

1. You'll need to disable the DHCP server. (This means you have to tell your asus wifi router not to give out LAN ip addresses, and leave that up to the verizon box.) You can do this by logging into the web interface of your Asus router, going to advanced settings > LAN > DHCP Server tab and click "No", then click "Apply" at the bottom.

2. Set the router to AP (Access Point) mode. You can do this by going to the Administration Tab > And clicking the Access Point (AP) mode. Scroll down and click "Save"

Sorry if I missed a step, I don't know exactly how your Asus router is setup.

Hope this could help!

0 Likes