Re: Rogue Wireless signal coming from Westell 9100?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turning off the wireless on my Westell certainly turns it off and there are no rogue wireless signals.

My Westell is under the basement stairs, the basement walls on 4 sides are 10" of concrete.  If I go and stand next to the router all I see are my 11n router on the first floor and the 54g router that my son has on the 2nd floor.  I go up to the first floor I see a bunch of other networks all with ssid's, one of which is called linksys and is unsecured - guess I should go and tell my neighbour how to secure it.

Nice little app Wififofum, the radar feature appears to work quite well and from lining up my 2 routers in here I can tell that the unsecured router is one of 2 neighbour houses, one about 300 yards away and the other the other side of the road from the first..  Wouldn't have the thought the antenna in an Ipod touch was that good.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

how bout unscrewing the antenna on the westell making it impossible for anyone to connect to it unless they are sitting next to it, IF it is the westell that you are seeing, which isn't 100% shored up in my mind, seeing how the mac address doesn't match with the device.

ITNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

You folks are tops, thank you for the help, insight...  Have new info after your input and more testing and will try and reply to all from top:

DSLR, interesting info from other blog, but saw no final resolution?  Sounds similar.....  my signal had no ssid.

Hub, right on...  9100 wan mac is 00:18:3A (Westell), 9100 wireless mac is my ghost signal!!!  I turned the radio back on and got my assigned SSID with the ghost mac (00:21:63).  Guess Askey makes wireless radios for westell!.   So the plot thickens....  Cisco linksys WRT610N "security" seems solid, wpa2 configured fine, no ghost signals.

Via, yes, askey fooled me too.....

Yes, powering off router causes ghost signal to disappear...

ALL, Yes, validated that the ghost signal is coming from westell by turning radio back on and getting that specific mac with my assigned ssid, then turning the 9100 off and seeing it go away from "monitor".  Askey definitely provider of westell radio.

Via, looks like you found same, askey supplier for your wireless radio,   and yes, turning off the radio seems to only tyun off the ssid linkage.  More on this below...  everyone getting warmer!!!

I'll cut to chase:

The ghost mac is my 9100 wireless radio mac.  When I simply turn off the radio thru admin the ssid, mac, and radio signal all go away!  If I turn on the radio the ssid, mac, and radio signal all reappear.  If I disable the radio, then power reset the 9100, the ghost mac and radio signal reappear with no SSID!!!!!  Wierd....  Tried serveral times, same result. 

Several winter storms this winter, have lost power, probably caused origonal symptom......

So...   any way to actually connect to a raw mac with no ssid?  Would like to test connecting to it in this state.  For now I can be sure no signal just by monitoring power hits, Need new iphone app!!!!!

Thanks to all for help figuring this one out, kinda, anyone got any contacts at westell for firmware? update?

will look again at admin on 9100 for firmware levels.   

ITNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

firmware levels:

Gateway Status

Software Version:

Upgrade

Release Date:

Aug 28 2008

Platform:

Westell UltraLine Series3

Model Number:

A90-9100EM15-10

INI File Name:

096-900205-02

INI File Version:

A

Hardware Version:

A

Hardware Serial Number:

08AK07062337

Tried downloading firmware, what I have shows as latest. 

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ITNerd wrote:

firmware levels:

INI File Version:

A

Hardware Version:

A

Hardware Serial Number:

08AK07062337

Tried downloading firmware, what I have shows as latest. 

I see a difference in my gateway status to yours.  As I said I have NO rogue signal when I turn off my wireless so maybe that is the difference.  NOTE that I have a different hardware version - see the attachment

0 Likes
ITNerd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanx Via, Yes see that.... Rev D?  Did you try Power on/off after turning radio off?  When did you install/receive your router?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ITNerd wrote:

Thanx Via, Yes see that.... Rev D?  Did you try Power on/off after turning radio off?  When did you install/receive your router?

Got the router early November but don't think that means anything as the neighbour got an Actiontec in late Deecember.

haven't tried powering router off and on to see if signal appears.  Will do later this evening after the guy who is downloading several dvd's off my ftp server is finished - he appears to be using a very slow connection at his end.

0 Likes