Router Speed Test vs Device Speed Test issue
Rodpgh76

Since I upgraded form my 150mbps to Gigabit internet my upload speeds continue to be around 150mbps however the download speeds are over 900mbps durring the device test, however on Router test it shows 940mbps upload 920mbps download... Verizon support can't provide help b/c on their end they only check router test. 

I have a Macbook Pro TB 2017, gigabit belkin USB-C to Ethernet conected... I have connecte to my office where we have 500mbps and I get close to that speed, so no hardware issues.. anyone have encounter similar issue

imageimage

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router Speed Test vs Device Speed Test issue
jonjones1
Legend

@Rodpgh76 wrote:

I am not using wifi, it is a new backbook pro and I use USB-C to Ethernet 

Yep I noted that. I mentioned it for devices if connected to wifi don't get no more than possibly half that speed.

looking at the router speed test from Fios it is considered gigabyte speed. 1024/1024 would be gigabyte. Verizon states 940/880 as their interpretation. So your speed is as what you pay for.

speed tests out of Verizon's proprietary network will be lower in most tests. At 100% optimal conditions close to the Verizon speed test. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Your photos are not showing yet but no matter.

wifi speeds never ever match direct ethernet connection from your computer to the router and Verizon Fios proprietary speed test site.

verizon only abides by the later. No other speed test site is acceptable nor is wifi. If you are getting 900+ up and down you are getting what you pay for.

0 Likes
Rodpgh76

I am not using wifi, it is a new backbook pro and I use Gigabit USB-C to Ethernet 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Rodpgh76 wrote:

I am not using wifi, it is a new backbook pro and I use USB-C to Ethernet 

Yep I noted that. I mentioned it for devices if connected to wifi don't get no more than possibly half that speed.

looking at the router speed test from Fios it is considered gigabyte speed. 1024/1024 would be gigabyte. Verizon states 940/880 as their interpretation. So your speed is as what you pay for.

speed tests out of Verizon's proprietary network will be lower in most tests. At 100% optimal conditions close to the Verizon speed test. 

0 Likes
JMM1990

I'm also on the same boat as OP. While the router's test was fine but, the device's test was not. For the download speed of TCP/IP overhead, I noticed a lot of the packets needed to be re-transmitted. As a result, the router has to re-adjust the transfer speed by lowering it in order for packets to go through smoothly.   

0 Likes
JMM1990

@jonjones

OP did not state anything about using WiFi so that has nothing to do with this subject. As he said: 

"I have a Macbook Pro TB 2017, gigabit belkin USB-C to Ethernet conected"

I've looked up Fios gateway router's chipset for the NIC interface and obviously it can easily handle near gigabit speed as you've probably seen through OP's screenshot of the router's connection. Also the vast majority of the computers around 2009 or greater have NIC built through PCie interface instead of PCI bus (share bandwidth). So computers with built PCie NIC should have no problem with near gigabit test result, even if the PCie interface is version 1.0 with x1 throughput (250MB/s = 2Gbps)

I don't know about OP or some of the others that might have this similar issue, I'm getting a little bit frustrated here ever since I had this service upgraded back in July. Many of us including myself that are having issues with fios service, go to this forum for possible solution to remedy the problem. So if you have relevant information regarding this matter, please kindly share it with us.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

First off I don't do the engineering for Fios or for the computer manufacturers.

you would have seen my reply as to using wifi as a comparison since most posters that say their speeds are not fast on ethernet, normally complain about wifi speeds.

verizon Fios speeds to your home from their service is UP TO 940/880 or there about.

the devices that connect in your home network to the Fios router is not going to get 100% speeds as from your router to Verizon's proprietary test site.

your reference to what devices should be able to handle, or the nic speeds that can be achieved mean absolutely zero.

Just because a nic can be rated to speeds handled up to 1 gb. or beyond does not again mean it will.

However if you came here to get a different answer than what tech support would have told you then you are sorely mistaken.

Here is the bottom line. You pay Verizon Fios for UP TO 940/880 +/- which is not guaranteed sustainable speeds. When you test on their official test server https://www.verizon.com/SpeedTest/instantinternet.aspx

this is the the only thing that they accept. Now testing a device on your home network for speed does not matter to Verizon. They are providing the connection only. It's like paying your electric company for electricity to the home yet because your plugs don't work you cannot access that electric. The electric company gets paid to deliver power to your home. Not caring if you can use it. (Just an analogy)

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I forgot this is a screen shot of first my device test with a top of the line acer aspireimageDevice to router speed

and this is the router to verizons server speed test. Not much difference. And I am sure not going to complain about those speeds.

imageRouter to Verizon Speed Test Site

Again if you cannot see the .png right away its due to verizons forum not approving the photos. but check back and they should be there.

0 Likes
JMM1990

@jonjon

First off, be civil and no hate comment please.

Secondly, you are sorely wrong about this forum. While it is not 100% guarentee, sometime there are answers within this forum that do help people who are having issues with their fios services, whether it is phone, internet, or tv. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JMM1990 wrote:

@jonjon

First off, be civil and no hate comment please.

Secondly, you are sorely wrong about this forum. While it is not 100% guarentee, sometime there are answers within this forum that do help people who are having issues with their fios services, whether it is phone, internet, or tv. 

Unfortunately I took your post to me as uncivil. So it works both ways. I explained why I mentioned wifi. And I read where the original poster stated what he was using.

Now having said that I also pointed out quite correctly the speeds that are obtainable via my .png shots. 

The simple fact of the matter is the thread deals with Fios broadband. Not Fios TV or Phone. In fact I don't answer questions of which I know nothing about.

The speed the original poster stated was up to Fios standards. However as I pointed out a call to tech support could possibly assist. What a person does with my posts or anyone else's post is squarely on the reader.

And again the "Gurantee" I speak of is not having sustainable speeds all the time. And this for a number of reasons which I point out many times in my answers.

The guarantees you are now stating have nothing to do with people asking for assistance, this is not a paid support forum. 

And as stated earlier what a person asks help with is of no concern of me or others.

people ask for help with this or that and someone answers the question.

I answered your inquiry, and the original posters question. I do not need critique of my response. Which is how you replied to me. (Saying my wifi part was not needed) in fact it was a clarification statement because many posters think the speed over wifi is what should be at the top mark. Only a direct connection from the device/computer/tablet is what should be accepted.

I also posted my device speed yesterday from my wifi enabled iPad mini. It was abysmal and yet faster than most devices used over wifi.

I am always civil. And I don't routinely hate anyone. So please stay the same way.

0 Likes