Running ethernet to second floor router
jacket3

I'm looking to get upgraded to a speed that does not support coax. My ONT is in the basement and my required router location is the office on the second floor. The coax currently routes out of the basement, up the outside of the house and back into the house through the wall.

Would Verizon techs be able to do this? Also if they can't would I still be charged the $150 installation fee? Would appreciate any thoughts.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Running ethernet to second floor router
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The official, Verizon supported method to attach a router to an ONT for speeds above 100Mbps is Ethernet.  The ONT does not have a MoCA chip-set in it that can go faster.  That's why they don't talk about any other way to connect routers and ONTs.

That said, you can connect the ONT's Ethernet WAN port to a MoCA adapter.  Then, use a dedicated coax to the router location where another MoCA adapter is used to connect Ethernet to the router's WAN port.  Somthing like this:

ONT Ethenet -> MoCA Adapter -> long coax run -> MoCA adapter -> router's WAN port

The key here is NO OTHER MoCA devices can be on the ONT-to-router coax.  Do not plug the coax into the router, set-top-box or any other device.  Make sure any taps from splitters are disconnected or otherwise prevented from being connected.

If you need MoCA LAN for set-tops or other devices, it must be run on a completely separate coax network.  This network should be connected to the router's coax port.

As you can see, there is extra cost and complexity here over a simple Ethernet run.  If you can get Ethernet installed, that is always best.  Verizon may charge to run Ethernet, and they don't fish it through walls.  If you want it done inside walls an neat, do it yourself or hire a contractor.

Another option is to install the router next to the ONT, then use it's MoCA LAN to connect to a Verizon network extender in the office.  This doesn't require any special coax segmentation, just the purchase or rental of an additional device.

MoCA LAN from the VZ router can go about 500Mbps.  If you want faster, then you need to use the adapters another poster mentioned to bypass the MoCA port in the router.  I.E.

Router LAN -> Bonded MoCA adapter -> coax -> Extener or Bonded Moca adapter

With this method, no coax segmentation is needed.

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

What speed from the ONT that MoCA does not support? You need to buy a pair of Bonded MoCA 2.0 (inclusive and above) adapters to achieve 1000Mbps+. Possible solutions include Actiontec ECB6200 or ECB6250, goCoax 2.5 adapters. If the adapters may need to be used with G3100's MoCA 2.5 LAN in the future, goCoax 2.5 adapters are preferred over all others.

Wiring specifications: ONT Data <--> MoCA Bonded 2.0+ ECB [--] MoCA Bonded 2.0+ ECB <--> Router WAN.

If you are using other MoCA devices on the network, you need to adjust the ECBs to a designated frequency channel to avoid signal collision.

Are you a business connection with multigig speed? Then, you need to pull a CAT 6a+ for sure. You have to either pull the cable yourself or hire a contractor. Verizon does not provide fishing cable as a service.

jacket3

I am only going from 100 mpbs to 200 mbps, and doing so because the price is apparently the same. 

The rep told me that anything over 100 mbps required running ethernet. However, it will not be worth it if the tech refuses to run the cable to the second floor. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jacket wrote:

The rep told me that anything over 100 mbps required running ethernet. 

No. Verizon's representatives are being humble. In reality, MoCA coax can achieve around 1000Mbps.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The official, Verizon supported method to attach a router to an ONT for speeds above 100Mbps is Ethernet.  The ONT does not have a MoCA chip-set in it that can go faster.  That's why they don't talk about any other way to connect routers and ONTs.

That said, you can connect the ONT's Ethernet WAN port to a MoCA adapter.  Then, use a dedicated coax to the router location where another MoCA adapter is used to connect Ethernet to the router's WAN port.  Somthing like this:

ONT Ethenet -> MoCA Adapter -> long coax run -> MoCA adapter -> router's WAN port

The key here is NO OTHER MoCA devices can be on the ONT-to-router coax.  Do not plug the coax into the router, set-top-box or any other device.  Make sure any taps from splitters are disconnected or otherwise prevented from being connected.

If you need MoCA LAN for set-tops or other devices, it must be run on a completely separate coax network.  This network should be connected to the router's coax port.

As you can see, there is extra cost and complexity here over a simple Ethernet run.  If you can get Ethernet installed, that is always best.  Verizon may charge to run Ethernet, and they don't fish it through walls.  If you want it done inside walls an neat, do it yourself or hire a contractor.

Another option is to install the router next to the ONT, then use it's MoCA LAN to connect to a Verizon network extender in the office.  This doesn't require any special coax segmentation, just the purchase or rental of an additional device.

MoCA LAN from the VZ router can go about 500Mbps.  If you want faster, then you need to use the adapters another poster mentioned to bypass the MoCA port in the router.  I.E.

Router LAN -> Bonded MoCA adapter -> coax -> Extener or Bonded Moca adapter

With this method, no coax segmentation is needed.