SNR question
blu221
Enthusiast - Level 1

Someone told me this morning the higher the dsl speed is, the lower the snr. Is that true?

0 Likes
Re: SNR question
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
My SNR was at 29 with 3 mbps, when I upgrade to 7 it dropped to a SNR of 19. At night it drops to 18-16.
0 Likes
blu221
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thanks for the reply. Mine fluctuates wildly 9-23. I wasn't having this problem before--constant drop outs. Verizon spent the weekend fixing one problem to giving me another problem.
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@blu22 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Mine fluctuates wildly 9-23. I wasn't having this problem before--constant drop outs. Verizon spent the weekend fixing one problem to giving me another problem.

Definitely see if you can get that fixed. SNR should fluctuate only 1-2dB under ideal cases. But yes, in most cases an increase in speed results in a decrease in SNR. This is based on how DSL loads up each DSL tone that is generated by the modem and DSLAM to transfer data (Think about all of the sounds a dial-up modem makes but on a much broader scale).

0 Likes
blu221
Enthusiast - Level 1
I mention the new problem and it looks like they fixed it. Now the snr varies by 2dB. Though I still get the occasional drop out while a page loads, some lag here and there.
0 Likes