Samsung Galaxy S8 Can't Connect to WiFi
chileboy

This just started happening recently - my S8 simply will not connect to the FiOS router. The Wi-Fi will say "Connected" for a second, then it disconnects ("Wi-Fi disconnected").

I have scoured these forums, the Verizon forums and elsewhere and found folks with similar issues/solutions but nothing I have tried works.

On S8 I have:

• Disabled Bluetooth, Visibility, Scanning and/or NFC
  • Disabled SmartSwitch
  • Assigned a static IP

On Router:

• Tediously tried EVERY W-Fi channel
  • Disabled WMM

and a bunch of other stuff on both I can't remember right now.

No other Wi-Fi device has any problems - my fiancee's and her kids iPhones, my friend's Galaxy S7, my old S6, mine and everyone's notebook PCs, etc., all connect flawlessly, whether they're 2.5GHz, 5GHz, b/g/n or whatever. So it seems to be an S8 issue.

S8 is running Android 7.0, Samsung Experience 8.1, not sure what else is relevant. Not rooted.

Thanks for any advice.

0 Likes
Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 Can't Connect to WiFi
jonjones1
Legend

You actually answered your own question...”It has to be the S8”

but let’s first test it at a friends or relatives house under their WiFi. If it connects and stays connected you may have a bad router from Fios. They do crap out.

you could also find a friend or relative with Fios using the same Quantum Gateway Router G1100 and if it drops out on the Quantum and on another router as above then I would say your cellular phone is the culprit.

you should not place your device in airplane mode, or turn off any phone settings to test connections to WiFi. The cellular settings should have no affect on your WiFi connectivity.

Another trick you can try is to go into the Quantum settings under WiFi and change the SSID name. Say to test2.4ghz or test5.0ghz for the SSID name. Also change the password to the new named networks. You could also not change the SSID names but simply change the network password. If you find the SSID and log in with the new password and it stays stable than your issue is solved.

Good Luck i hope it works 😀

0 Likes
chileboy

Well, I should have said "it has to be the S8 when it tries to talk to the G1100" - because I'm in I.T, I travel a lot and I've yet to experience connectivity issues with any other router. Hard to say if any of them were G1100's though. And as I said, I've yet to have the issue at home with any other device. We both (my fiancee and I) have large familiies and since this started I've been having everyone test their connectivity and it's been 100% reliable for everyone else, over wireless G, N, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz, whatever.

I am going to try tonight changing the password and/or SSID as you suggest and I will let you know. I was also thinking of resetting the router to defaults, but I'm reluctant to do that because I have a lot of devices on the network and I've gone to great pains to configure everything with static IPs, named all my devices, etc. and don't want to do all that again I guess.

Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it goes.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I am hoping the password change does the trick.

i have another thought....Did you go into your device S8 WiFi networks and just highlight the SSID be it 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz or guest network and select forget network.

then turn your S8 on and off then do a search for your home network again and re-enter the network password and see if that fixes the issue your having.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You didn't say what model router you have.

I have the G1100 and an S8.

I have no problem with it staying connected to my router.

Maybe try posting in the Samsung forums.

They can be found withing Samsung folder on your phone.

0 Likes