Setting up a Wireless Network
CosmicCharlie1
Enthusiast - Level 1

For 3-4 months now I have tried to noavail to set up a wireless network using a Westell 6100 and a Wireless Linksys WRT54G Router. Chat has been no help as Well as the Phone Help .. Actually the Phone "help" was nothing but a headache and a reason to start drinking; But I digress . I am Computer literate and understand bridge mode set up and such . They have told me DHCP should be used; which is good since my Fiancee can not remember her login or password for her account . Just a few minutes ago I came across this Link   I am curious if this could be the answer I have been looking for or if it is another headache waiting to happen. This has really become a thorn in my side b\c I have literally set up 100's of wired networks w\ no problems .The worse part, or most annoying part is that are two PC's ARE networked together we can share files and everything; it's just went I want to add the modem to the router so we both have Net acess it doesn't work . Now for some more Info .

My PC is running Windows 7 Home Pro.

Hers is XP Home Edition

My PC will be hard wired to the Router while hers will be the wireless one. Using a Linksys Wireless-G Network Adapter w\ SpeedBooster.

Please any more info needed feel free to ask ... Thanx

Dennis

Re: Setting up a Wireless Network
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When you set up the bridged connection on the modem, did you by any chance reset the modem back to factory defaults and forget to disable the Walled Garden? Otherwise, make sure you verify for sure what your modem is using to obtain IP address information from Verizon, as your router must be using the same once the modem is bridged. You're more likely to be using PPPoE instead of DHCP on Verizon's network, unless you happen to be using FiOS where DHCP is guaranteed except for super old installs. DHCP is used mostly in Verizon's old GTE areas, many of which were sold to Frontier last year.

In most Verizon areas such as mine, the PPPoE Username and Password can be just about anything. Some areas still do enforce a proper PPPoE Username and Password, however. If you're in a DHCP area, leave the modem powered off overnight to break any MAC address/DHCP Lease bindings on Verizon's end to allow your router to connect.

0 Likes
CosmicCharlie1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yea it is DHCP; But what I don't understand is I had it working 3 months ago for at least two hours and never had to wait over night for it 😛 I will begin to try again today; thanx for the info if I have to wait then My Fiancee will just have to deal I guess LOL ...

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep us updated as to how everything went 🙂

0 Likes