Slow internet speeds
Shimdog

I have recently been experiencing some slower internet speeds than I have ever before.  I have the ookla speed test app on my iphone which I check daily, and I am very upset about the results.  I am paying for the 3 mpbs down and the 768 kpbs up package.  When I first got this package about a year ago my connection was solid around 2.89 down and .70 up but over the course of the new year it has been gradually getting slower and slower as now my down speeds are ranging from 1.5 to 2.4 (which in case are on good days).  My upload speeds have dropped ranging from .2 to .4 and is killing me as a gamer online.  I live sort of out in the woods and this internet I have now is the best thing in my area.  But the latency which have dramatically gone from 67 ms to 150 ms is also really frustrating. I use to have the D-Link 2750B router which I got rid of and replaced with the ActiontecGT784WN router to try and increase my speeds.  Which in case did nothing to improve my speeds, I have also talked to many different customer support in online chat and phone calls which they said my speeds are fine and tried blaming my computer (which I just bought last year).  I was just hoping that maybe somebod on here could help me out and see if it is really just on my end or if i can maybe get verizon tech out here and fix all this.  As a sidenote today it rained and my speeds were really bad all day I am not sure if the rain affects the dsl that bad or if it was a just a bad day.. My down speed was around 1.66 and my upload speed was at a .28 with a ping of 162(according to my ookla speed test app). Here is some of my parameters.

Broadband Parameter Status

VPI:0
VCI:35
Broadband Mode Setting:ADSL2+
Broadband Negotiated Mode:ADSL2+
Connection Status:CONNECTED
Downstream Speed:2943 Kbps
Upstream Speed:856 Kbps
Retrains:0
Retrain Timer:0 Days, 0H:56M:15S
ATM QoS class:UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave:0
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave :0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath :N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave :0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave :0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave :0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave :0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath :N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream :0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream :0
SNR Downstream :47 dB
SNR Upstream :20 dB
Attenuation Downstream :10 dB
Attenuation Upstream :8 dB
Power Downstream0 dBm
Power Upstream10.1 dBm
0 Likes
Re: Slow internet speeds
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your line looks good so far, although it's too soon to tell if there's a problem. Your statistics will give more insight with the modem having more than a day of uptime. From what I can tell, you should be ready to go to get any speed you want up to the 15Mbps range. You're close to the DSLAM with great noise margins. You could go for FastPath, which will drop your pings by 15-20ms.

Are you seeing better performance of the connection during the early morning hours? It sounds like anything weather or peak hours related is slowing you down. That's often a sign of congestion. Hopefully the congestion is not at the DSLAM.

0 Likes
Shimdog
Not really anymore my internet speeds after that rain storm I had just cut my speeds right in half and nearly added 50+ ping. No matter what time of day it is still so slow for some reason. But I will see if I can call verizon and ask about the fast path and then ask about being able to get faster speeds. But I'm kind of new to this so is there anything I should specifically say or anything you recommend me telling them to try and resolve this problem? @Smith6612
0 Likes
Shimdog
Thank you so much for the info though!
0 Likes
Shimdog
Here is my new parameters after some time

Broadband Parameter Status
VPI: 0
VCI: 35
Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL2+
Broadband Negotiated Mode: ADSL2+
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Downstream Speed: 3360 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 859 Kbps
Retrains: 1
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 7H:14M:17S
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 481
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 24 dB
SNR Upstream : 21 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 10 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 8 dB
Power Downstream 0 dBm
Power Upstream 10.1 dBm
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Those statistics are still fine. 

Since you're seeing slow speeds, please make an account over at DSLReports and request some help for getting this connection resolved. Post at this forum: https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect

Please mention that you are seeing slow speeds that may be due to congestion. Provide the modem statistics you have included. Once the connection issues are resolved, see if Verizon is willing and able to provide you with more bandwidth since the connection can go higher.

0 Likes