Slow upload speeds after 50/50 "upgrade."
smeric

I was happily on a 50/25 Internet plan until Verizon gave me a free "upgrade" to a 50/50 plan. Ever since then my upload speeds have been unacceptably slow. Hard-wired into the router with no other devices connected, I'm now lucky to get 5 Mbps up, and it's often only 2-3 Mbps up using Verizon's speed test. Download speed is fine at 50+ Mbps. I've tested it at different times during the day and evening over several weeks and it's always the same. Testing from other devices yields similar results.

I've wasted many hours with phone and chat tech support without any solution. I've run the optimizer tool, done several factory resets on the Actiontec MI424WR Rev. 1 router, and rebooted everything more times than I can remember.

I'm currently on hold for phone support (my third call just today) and have been waiting 40 minutes without anyone coming on the line.

Please help me before Verizon's hold music makes me crazy.

0 Likes
Re: Slow upload speeds after 50/50 "upgrade."
MORENOKLAN1
Enthusiast - Level 2

TRY RESETTING YOUR ROUTER. IF THAT DOESN'T HELP CALL VERIZON TECH SUPPORT.

0 Likes
smeric

Yes, I've tried rebooting the router and doing a factory reset several times. Verizon phone support sent commands to the router to "change some things" (firmware update?). None of it has had any effect. Just did another hard-wired speeed test this morning and got a 6.46 Mbps upload speed. I'm supposed to be getting 50.

I tried calling tech support again last night and gave up after almost an hour on hold.

0 Likes
smeric

Another unproductive phone call to Verizon tech support ... about 20 minutes, most of which I spent on hold. End result was that they said will call me back. Why is this so difficult?

Upload speed is still miserable since my 50/50 "upgrade" ... far worse than when I had a 50/25 plan.

0 Likes
smeric

Does anyone from Verizon actually read these things, or am I wasting my time in this forum?

I'm at a loss when it comes to getting anything out of Verizon ... hour-long phone calls on hold ... when I finally get to speak with someone they tell me they have to put me on hold and transfer me to a different department ... hour long chat online sessions that don't resolve the problem ... trouble tickets closed without any resolution.

I've never been so disappointed in a service.

0 Likes
riche127

I signed up for 50/50 and the installation guy was here for like 4-5hrs trying to get those speeds on my Fios. He replaced my box twice and even the control switch thing in my garage. We reached 50/30 and I finally just asked him to leave.  He couoldnt even get his own tier 2 support to help him without jumping throug hoops. I did all the optimizer installs. Connected my laptop directly to the ONT. etc. I think their speeds are not actually wha tthey claim they are. Today I downgraded to 25/25 becuase I wasnt going to get any faster anyway. 

0 Likes
smeric

I had a service tech come out yesterday and he was great. He verified that all my equipment was up to date and said it was a problem on Verizon's side with something called a "PON card." He made some calls and got it reset, and I was instantly back to 50+ Mbps up and down. He warned me that it was a temporary fix and my speed would slowly degrade again until Verizon could reboot/replace the PON card, but that wouldn't happen instantly because PON cards have 32 customers connected to them and they all have to be taken offline for a few hours to reboot/replace the card.

This morning I'm already back down to upload speeds in the 20-25 range.

0 Likes
ga376

Same thing hapenned to me (NYC). was fine for about a month after the free upgrade and now it is very choppy - can be really bad to, sometimes less than 1mb, most often 2-10. Had technicians come and test, replaced router. At the day of testing it was working perfectly. few days laters goes back to under 10. don't know what else to do

0 Likes
bigdes2k
I have the 50/50 package, download speed was 53 Mbps but had the same issue with my upload speed going at .56 Mbps when connected on the lan ethernet adapter. I checked my speed when connected through wireless adapter and the upload speed was faster 20 Mbps (slower because wireless) so I knew something was wrong with the lan ethernet adapter. I went to start -> control panel -> network and internet -> network and sharing center  > change adapter settings -> right clicked on local area connection -> properties -> click configure -> click advanced tab -> select and highlight Large Send Offload (IPv4) in property scroll down window and DISABLE it in the value drop down menu. My upload speed is now 63.60 Mbps connected through lan ethernet adapter. I read that Large send offload is enabled by default in windows and can cause network blockage and slow down by causing too many failed packets that are sent and by disabling will fix issue. I tried it and it worked for me, hopefully this works for you.
0 Likes
Saloku

@bigdes2k wrote:
I have the 50/50 package, download speed was 53 Mbps but had the same issue with my upload speed going at .56 Mbps when connected on the lan ethernet adapter. I checked my speed when connected through wireless adapter and the upload speed was faster 20 Mbps (slower because wireless) so I knew something was wrong with the lan ethernet adapter. I went to start -> control panel -> network and internet -> network and sharing center  > change adapter settings -> right clicked on local area connection -> properties -> click configure -> click advanced tab -> select and highlight Large Send Offload (IPv4) in property scroll down window and DISABLE it in the value drop down menu. My upload speed is now 63.60 Mbps connected through lan ethernet adapter. I read that Large send offload is enabled by default in windows and can cause network blockage and slow down by causing too many failed packets that are sent and by disabling will fix issue. I tried it and it worked for me, hopefully this works for you.

I created this account just to thank you for posting this information. My husband and I are with Comcast, but we ran into a similar situation. We had just upgraded from 25 Mbps to 50 Mbps, and we noticed a considerable decrease in our upload speed as a result. We spent 4 hours talking with various representatives over the phone, and we finally decided to just give up and take to the internet for a possible solution after being put on hold for the 50th time.

Thanks to your workaround, we're back in action and are seeing similar upload speeds to what we had previously. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this here! It has made a substantial difference and prevented me from going nuts on the next Comcast representative we undoubtedly were going to be transferred to next. 

xx

0 Likes