Speed Tests
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

i am getting horrible down speeds,just started tonight,so i ran several speed tests,the Verizon one has got me at 9 down and 18 up,the speednet test is showing the speeds i am paying for,i ran a wireless speed test on my ipod touch and it is the same results as the Verizon tests,i have reset my router,rebooted my PC,optimized the connection still slow results,i have had fios for a week no speed issues till tonight,my TV is working fine,am i missing something i have the 25/25 package.

0 Likes
Re: Speed Tests
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Wireless speedtests are unreliable for diagnosing problems related to your FiOS Internet connection.

What speeds is www.speedtest.net showing with your optimized PC connected by Ethernet to your router and nothing else on the system using any bandwidth?

amstel78

@lou61166 wrote:

i am getting horrible down speeds,just started tonight,so i ran several speed tests,the Verizon one has got me at 9 down and 18 up,the speednet test is showing the speeds i am paying for,i ran a wireless speed test on my ipod touch and it is the same results as the Verizon tests,i have reset my router,rebooted my PC,optimized the connection still slow results,i have had fios for a week no speed issues till tonight,my TV is working fine,am i missing something i have the 25/25 package.

I don't know if there's some sort of problem with Verizon's DNS servers or links to other servers.  I too have noticed that using Speakeasy or speedtest.net returns lousy results.  In both cases, I would select the test servers in NYC and they consistently return slow download speeds.  

However, tonight I came across the Time Warner Cable NYC broadband speed test which shows much better results.  Whereas I'd get 9 or 10 mbps downloads on the other test sites, I'm getting roughly 40-41 mbps transfers from TWC servers.

Try it for your self:

http://speedtest.nyc.rr.com/

BTW, this issue only began a few days ago.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Well, on Road Runner I get this:

Download Speed: 43184 kbps (5398 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 34096 kbps (4262 KB/sec transfer rate)

and on speedtest.net this:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1106350181.png 

and on the FiOS test:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 34.33Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 42.99Mb/s

I had noticed that a few days ago the Optimum Online server at speedtest.net had higher than normal latency and slower than normal speeds, but results from Secaucus and Clifton, NJ, were right up there where they always are.  The OOL server seems back to normal now too.

It's always worth running a test on a few different servers and also measuring what you get in a real world situation.  And do it with a hard wired connection for reliability.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
The OOL server seems to be having that trouble rather frequently so it seems. I've stopped testing to it as a result and instead run tests to Secaucus, NJ.
0 Likes
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the Feedback,i have only had these issues in the evining hours,i am about a quarter mile from the box,that connects my neighborhood,i am not sure how many people are using Fios,but can heavy usage from other users in my town cause slow downs,i thought fiber can handle large amounts of users without slow downs,i am very satisfied with the TV and the internet service but i am paying extra for 25/25 speeds,and for a week now it was perfect,up till Monday night.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Fiber is the dedicated connection between your home and the central office -- which also carries your phone and TV.   In this respect, fiber is great for reliability and bandwidth possibilities (and differs from cable in that your internet connection isn't shared within the neighborhood, but instead isn't shared until you reach the central office just like DSL).     However, once your traffic arrives at the central office, it's no different than any other ISP who manages large networks and connections to the Internet. 

Once you get to the central office, you're part of the same cloud as everyone else and local conditions, neighbors in the same town, and traffic demands in other parts of the country can all impact your overall experience.  Some of these are within Verizon's control, but many are not -- and the same applies really to any carrier.  

Doesn't matter how fast you can drink, or how big a pipe you buy (say one capable of supply 25 gallons a minute) ... if the other end can only supply water at a gallon a minute, that's all you're going to get (and if there are several people who turn on the tap around the country at the same time from the same source -- you're going to get even less.

In short, faster is not always better on the internet.   Depends on what and where you're going.   YMMV.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

@lou61166 wrote:

Thanks for the Feedback,i have only had these issues in the evining hours,i am about a quarter mile from the box,that connects my neighborhood,i am not sure how many people are using Fios,but can heavy usage from other users in my town cause slow downs,i thought fiber can handle large amounts of users without slow downs,i am very satisfied with the TV and the internet service but i am paying extra for 25/25 speeds,and for a week now it was perfect,up till Monday night.

FiOS's network download capacity consists of 32 users sharing 2400 Mbps for GPON or 622 Mbps for BPON. Cable networks using DOCSIS consist of typically 125 users sharing 160 Mbps

Those are VERY reasonable subscription rates, and so you should very rarely if ever see other users affecting your speeds.

0 Likes