Speed drops in the afternoon till midnight.
kca1

Has anyone else come across this?  my speed drops to less then .50 kpbs from around 3 pm till nearly midnight on the dot.  Network specailist and the tech that visited my home said I am getting the max on my line with very little noise.  It is happening to all of my devices; phone, tablet and two laptopsso I seriously doubt it is my machines.  I troed a new modem but it had no effect.

If anyone can shed light on this I would appreciate it.

0 Likes
Re: Speed drops in the afternoon till midnight.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What is the brand and model of your DSL modem?

#2 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
kca1

ACTIONTEC GT784WNV.   That is the only equipment installed.

0 Likes
kca1

I was also wondering if it would be possible to have them move me to another DSLAM if the one I am on is having backend congestion?   Has anyone ever had luck with that?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kca wrote:

ACTIONTEC GT784WNV.   That is the only equipment installed.

#1 Is wireless turned on in it?

#2 If so, what wireless security is it set to?

For example WEP, WPA

#3 Also if wireless is turned on, does this issue also happen on the wired connection

I was also wondering if it would be possible to have them move me to another DSLAM if the one I am on is having backend congestion?

More than like, yes

Has anyone ever had luck with that?

I do not know how, but yes we did.

0 Likes
VerEyesOn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I get the same, though the times of day vary.  I'm on a 3Mbps connection and all day yesterday I was trying to use the web at around 50kbps.  Even Verizon's own speed test timed out numerous attempts!

This morning at around 2-3am it inexplicably shot up to about 2.4Mbps.  This afternoon, it's back down to a creep.

This is clearly not an issue with my hardware, software or line, since none of those things change between the fast times and the slow times.  This is 100% Verizon's doing.  Don't let them try to tell you it's malware on your system that's causing it, either.  My machine is squeaky clean and, again, no change to it between the fast and slow times.

This also occurs when the weather is perfect in the area of my home AND the CO, so Verizon can't use that old excuse.

Historically, I generally just waited till the following day and somebody at Verizon got around to fixing the problem(s).  But this time the speed issues have persisted beyond even my patience threshold.

I suspect Verizon is throttling us (intentionally or otherwise) and just hopes we 1) won't notice, 2) won't complain and/or 3) won't cancel the service.

Well, I for one have no intention of continuing to pay for speeds I'm not being provided (not even in the ballpark).

Years ago, I had relatively few problems with Verizon DSL; speed was consistently close to what my plan agreement specifies.  Now I get this service a snail could outrun and max out at a Westell 327W-reported 2944k CO connection (it was usually around 3600k years ago).

We could try getting a refund for those days/times that we were throttled (intentionally or otherwise), but I'm dubious of the potential for success in that endeavor.  Likely the only recourse we have is to cancel their service altogether.

They drop me from 3.6 down to 2.9 on the exact same line and there was a price hike.

They kill usenet and there was a price hike.

They ditch personal web space and there was a price hike.

I'm getting pretty fed up with this continually increasing cost of progressively crummier service!

Also, they promised FIOS would come to my area for years and never delivered and will never deliver.

Is all this supposed to make me want to hop on board LTE??  wow...

0 Likes
VerEyesOn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

A "supervisor" (let's call him Mr. India) ordered a new modem for me and, as expected, it made little difference (the difference it did make is that my service got ultimately SLOWER after connecting it!).  Yeah, tell me again how the issue is with the 9-yr old Westell I've never had trouble with.  No?  Ok, time to blame my computer(s) again, Mr. India.

I was on the phone with a more helpful tech the next day (after Mr. India but before I received the new modem) who said she didn't believe my pc was at fault -- must be a tier 3, as only they know wth they're talking about.  Unfortunately, even she can't work miracles.

She saw the router/DSLAM I was connected to was congested, so she switched me to three, count 'em THREE different ones (making a total of 4 so far) and NONE of them fixed the issue (big surprise).  We ran numerous tests after each switch.  I was doing better on the congested one!

The tech said she would have them "change their hardware at the CO" since I had a new modem coming, to attack the problem on both fronts.  I asked whether others had filed trouble tickets in this area, she looked it up and said nobody else in TX had.  Oh, right.. I bet they're going to install new, costly hardware just to please little old me, because after all my 3Mbps account is uber premium in their eyes; more like they'd rather ignore me and have me leave their system for good (one less unprofitable DSL'er on board!).

Based on what I've read, this timed throttling is common over the years; Google it and you'll see it going way back with Verizon.  I guess it took them till this year to decide it was finally my turn to get hit with the slo-mo stick.

At about 3:10pm on the day the new D-Link modem arrived, I was disconnected completely.  I watched it all as it occurred.  They were doing something, alright, because right after I was reconnected to the CO my speeds shot up to 2.9Mbps down and 0.76Mbps up, and it was holding!

Wonderful!  I thought.  Too bad it didn't last long.  An hour later it was back down to 2.4, 2, 1.5, 0.8, etc.  Wow, that uncongested NEW equipment they installed just for moi sure got congested in a hurry.

So then I thought ok, wth, I'll play (can't do anything online anyway at these speeds), so I proceeded to swap modems and noticed the new D-Link firmware doesn't even provide transceiver diagnostic stats (thanks a ton, Verizon; whatcha hidin', huh?), and my DSLAM connection is a steady 3.4Mbps down/0.9Mbps up, regardless of actual connection speed to net servers.

I should be really cruising!  But no, I'm stuck in gridlock.

I did tracerts on verizon.net for kicks, e.g.:

I noted the times and it's slow between around 2-3pm and midnight; ergo, I get about 12 hours of normal-ish speeds, same as OP, same as many others over the years.

Overselling bandwidth much, VZ?

Check out how awesome my dialup.. er, I mean "high-speed" dl is for 9 straight hours every day:

0 Likes
VerEyesOn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just a quick update:

My speed has been a consistent 2.87Mbps down, 75kbps up at all hours since 6-19.

Moral of the story is that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  Keep complaining and your speed issues will [hopefully] be resolved.  It took me several complaints to varying levels of support plus a big delay and wasted time, but I'm pretty much at normal for my long distance from the CO.  I just hope it stays that way!

Best of luck to the rest of you.

0 Likes