Spreading my internet throughout the house via wire
theillien

I am in a townhouse which was built with network cabling in place. The closet has four drops plus Internet line-in which comes from the ONT. There is a bridged telecom module (BTM; model SCM TM-8) in the utility closet. The module has a line-in port and eight Ethernet ports among other irrelevant bits and bobs.

When I moved in the feed line was coupled directly to the basement drop. This required me to plug the router (G1100) in at the basement. This limits my ability to plug other devices into the ports throughout the house. I have since moved the router to the utility closet and plugged the line-in from the ONT into the WAN port on the router. However, now I'm stumped as to how to get the other ports linked up. I plugged a cable from one of the switch ports to the line-in port on the BTM but that didn't provide any uplink to the device I'm using to test which is connected to one of the other drops.

I've looked at the G1100 configuration and, as could be predicted, there is no way to convert one of the switch ports to an uplink port. Is there no other way to get the router to feed the data connection throughout the house without buying another router to sit in the middle?

0 Likes
Re: Spreading my internet throughout the house via wire
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You should be able to connect any device to any of the switch ports on the g1100 to share data throughout your house. Can even hook it up to a switch to provide more connections.

0 Likes
Re: Spreading my internet throughout the house via wire
RMN3
Enthusiast - Level 3

How are you connecting to the TM-8?

0 Likes