Strange Issue
MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

So I woke up the other day and realized my connection had failed. So I attempted to reconnect and had no luck. I finally reset my Westell 7500 and the connection worked fine although now my download speed is very, very slow. I often have to download large files for work and am used to 250-300 kB/s and am now getting 10-50 at best and even then it's not steady. I noticed that if I download in my browser the speeds are higher though still sporadic. I am running windows 7 home premium and as stated have a westell 7500. I also found that trying to download any torrent will slow my browser to nothing. Otherwise my connection and computer work fine. I am certain that the computer is virus/malware free. I know my programs are set up correctly and my port is forwarded correctly. I am honestly stumped at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Strange Issue
MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem has been solved. Decided to mess around with cords this morning and noticed that my splitter was not sitting in the outlet properly. So this entire time all that was wrong was a **bleep**, loose plug. I changed it out and everything is back to normal. I want to thank you guys for the help and apologize for the stupidity on my part. Always the simplest answer that you overlook.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 How are you connected to this router ( Wired or Wireless ) ?

#2 What torrent client are you using ?

#3 Do you have at least two computers behind your router?

#4 If so to my last question: Do you have at least two special type of computers that are behind your router that support UPnP and you can not define the ports that they use?

For example: Two game consoles.

By game console, a special type of computer with no keyboard or mouse (and it/they are usually connected to a TV).

Also - it can be any two: Two Xboxes, One PlayStation and One Xbox, ETC...

#5 If you do not know if the special type of computers that you have support UPnP and you can not define the ports that they use, please post the names of all of the special type of computers that you have that are connected to the net using this router.

MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the quick reply

1) my connection is wired

2) bittorrent or utorrent.

3 just one

4) have my wii and xbox connected

They were both connected before this issue and my speeds were always good.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 If your torrent client looks something like the sample screen shot at

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Utorrent/UtorrentMainMenu.jpg

a) Click Options in the menu at the top of your screen. In the list that drops down click Preferences

b) Click Connections on the left hand side of the Utorrent program

c) What is/are your Bandwidth Limiting Settings?

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/Utorrent/UtorrentNetworkOptions.jpg

#2 If your torrent client looks more something like the sample screen shot at

http://screenshots.en.softonic.com/en/scrn/29000/29371/3_mainwindow.jpg

Move the slider bar to the left to slow down the upload / download speed.

MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hey again, I have the upload rate set to 60 as I used a converter to tell me where I should have it. The download limit is set to 0 or unlimited. Under Global Rate Limit Options the "apply rate limit to transport overhead" and "apply rate limit to uTP connections" boxes were checked by default. I have tried changing the upload rate and still had no luck. I know the port isn't being blocked and is forwarded correctly. I tested it out with a torrent that had 1k+ seeders and was still getting almost nothing.

0 Likes
MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just noticed that my upload speed via firefox was very low as well. Somewhere in the 4-11 kB/s range. This problems is really stumping me.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 What speed test site did you use?

#2 What was the result when you were running any other network aware program(s) other than your web browser and software firewall?

#3 In the modem combo go to System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transceiver Statistics 

#4 Post that info there in there, here.

MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

I appreciate you trying to help

1) I pretty much tested on every site that I could find via google. Every result was about the same and I didn't take note of anything because of the results

2) I only tested with the things running that are always running: windows live messenger, yahoo messenger, aim, and my gmail account.

4) Stats  Wasn't sure if images worked so I did it this way

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok

#1 Try connecting your modem directly to the NID.

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

#2 Please see if and how that changes the stats.

MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately I do not have access to the NID, in fact, I have never even seen it on or near my house.

0 Likes