Re: Strange Issue
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm unable to see the statistics so I have no idea what may be going on short of that at the moment. You mentioned your connection failed overnight and all of a sudden started seeming slower, so I have a feeling that if it isn't an issue with the line itself, that there is something Verizon did overnight that started trashing your speeds. We'll find that out soon enough though. So anyways, if you can provide those statistics to me (or if DSLR might have a copy of the picture floating around) I'll see how they look and we'll go from there.
0 Likes
MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry about the delay, here are the stats again: Stats

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Those statistics are bad. One thing that can definitely be killing your download speed is in fact your upload speed. As it stands right now, your sync rate of 64kbps on the upstream will result in roughly 45-50kbps of bandwidth, which will ultimately result in ~5KB/s of upload after overhead is considered. Basically something a dial-up modem with compression can beat, and thus can be bottle necking your downstream due to a choking of ACKs. Basically right now you seem to be suffering from a noise problem on the line. What you should do first is isolate the wiring in your house as much as possible. Make sure everything is filtered, the phone line sounds clear if you have voice service, there is no corrosion on any part of the jacks in your home, and nothing is shorting out or is damaged. If you are sure that the problem is not inside, get a tech out to repair the line. If you can attempt to locate a NID for your home (which might be all the way out at the street, or in a small box hidden someplace in the basement), then all the better.
MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for that info. I have a feeling that it's my phone line in this room. It must be 50 years old and when I first plugged things into it years ago I was blown away that it even worked. A couple months back using my cordless phone (from the same jack) was shutting down certain net programs. Maybe that should have been my first clue. I think I'll have a new line put in here and see how that works out.

MisterPoe
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem has been solved. Decided to mess around with cords this morning and noticed that my splitter was not sitting in the outlet properly. So this entire time all that was wrong was a **bleep**, loose plug. I changed it out and everything is back to normal. I want to thank you guys for the help and apologize for the stupidity on my part. Always the simplest answer that you overlook.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MisterPoe wrote:

Always the simplest answer that you overlook.

Sometimes that happens.

Please mark your own post as solved.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
Glad to hear it was a simple fix 🙂
0 Likes