Sudden Fios Intermittent Connectivity
HeyGuy455
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looking for some help or thoughts on how to proceed with an issue that just popped up last night starting around 830 PM ET.

Since 830 PM ET I have had 4 disconnects ranging from 7 minutes to 30 minutes.

In all cases the world icon on my G1100 Router is red.

Physically restarting the router does not help, the only item that helps is getting verizon to send a "refresh signal" or "reboot remotely".  Is this a sign of an ONT issue?

Anyone else familiar with similar issues?  I've glanced at the logs but don't see anything obvious at first glance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Sudden Fios Intermittent Connectivity
HeyGuy455
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got an amazing Verizon tech who took time to try out multiple things.

1. Noticed some of the connectors used were indoor rated so replaced them with outdoor rated connectors.

2. Replaced the power supply even though it wasn't faulty.

We tested the ONT and it had worse uptime behavior (only about 2 minutes) so he started troubleshooting additional items.

Finally he found that a critter had chewed thru some of the wiring which explained the intermittent connectivity.  Once he replaced the wiring I was back online.  He cleaned up his truck while waiting for 20+ minutes to ensure it was the final fix.

chewedwire.jpg

View solution in original post

HeyGuy455
Enthusiast - Level 2

After multiple more outages I have confirmed that a power cycle of the ONT temporarily fixes the issue until the next outage.

HeyGuy455
Enthusiast - Level 2

This morning I opened up the ONT and confirmed that the data light was unlit.

Full status: pwr: green, bat: green, ntwk: green, mgmt: green.  Everything else unlit.

When I power cycle the device it will provide internet access again for 10-15 mins and data light will be lit green, then it will drop and go unfixed until I manually intervene.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

That sounds like a faulty ONT to me. I would call customer service and try to get a tech out ASAP. 

Tags (2)
HeyGuy455
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Capricorn1Thanks, I did a chat with them this morning and shared video from my phone to show them the behavior.  I have an appointment but the earliest was almost 48 hours out.  Working from cafes for the next few days!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try a different (known good!) Ethernet cable between your ONT and router. If the Data Light is going out but not anything else like NWRK, you're not losing Fiber signal, but the Ethernet carrier is likely dropping. Also, try another router if you have one handy. Failing that, a technician can replace your ONT.

HeyGuy455
Enthusiast - Level 2

@smith6612I gave it a try with some extra cables I had.  No luck.

When i replaced the cables the status on my router did not change until I power cycled the ONT.

After the ONT power cycle it functioned for about 12 minutes until the process repeated itself again and connectivity dropped.

HeyGuy455
Enthusiast - Level 2

Got an amazing Verizon tech who took time to try out multiple things.

1. Noticed some of the connectors used were indoor rated so replaced them with outdoor rated connectors.

2. Replaced the power supply even though it wasn't faulty.

We tested the ONT and it had worse uptime behavior (only about 2 minutes) so he started troubleshooting additional items.

Finally he found that a critter had chewed thru some of the wiring which explained the intermittent connectivity.  Once he replaced the wiring I was back online.  He cleaned up his truck while waiting for 20+ minutes to ensure it was the final fix.

chewedwire.jpg