Thinkpad T40 laptop see's Actiontec GT704WG but will not connect via the WEP key
Bigjeff

Hello all! Please help! I purchased a Verizon Actiontec GT704WG modem/router several weeks ago to replace a Netgear router I was using previously with a standard Westell modem and am having difficulty with establishing a wireless connection between it and my Thinkpad T40 laptop running XP. Within my Wireless Network Connection window, the SSID is visible with good signal. When I try to CONNECT, I am prompted by the standard window requiring the 64-bit WEP key found on the bottom of the modem/router, of which I enter over the defaulting 8 alpha/numeric key that appears as dots, & retype my key to confirm it. After doing this & hitting CONNECT again, the process over half-a-minute or so simply times out with no connection. Being this modem/router is replacing my old Netgear equipment, is there an administrative-like setting on my Thinkpad I have to adjust/change to enter in a new 64-bit WEP key to connect to this new Actiontec modem/router? I likewise have no success in the Change Advanced Settings/Wireless Networks/Preferred Networks/Properties window to enter in the new WEP key in place of again this, 8 alpha/numeric key represented as dots. After selecting OK (as there's no APPLY option), that window I just entered the new key defaults back to that 8 alpha/numeric key when I open it back up. I'm guessing this is obviously a default of Windows as I have reformatted my hard drive hoping this would help in some way. I've tried to go over everything with a fine-toothed comb within Wireless Network Connections to removing/adding the Actiontec modem/router within Preferred Networks, turning off firewall, updating the wireless LAN adapter drivers, trying a 128-bit key, to reading something about changing IP addresses (of which I have no idea on how to tamper with), and etc. I am able though to hardwire via Ethernet a connection from the modem/router to the laptop & obtain a perfect internet connection. However, at this point i'm at a loss and any idea on what I need to adjust/change/smash-with-a-hammer to enter in this new 64-bit WEP key and get it to be the default key this laptop uses to successfully connect wirelessly would be greatly appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: Thinkpad T40 laptop see's Actiontec GT704WG but will not connect via the WEP key
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you did not change the SSID, change the SSID. For example if the SSID is Actiontec, you could change it to Actiontec1.

0 Likes
Re: Thinkpad T40 laptop see's Actiontec GT704WG but will not connect via the WEP key
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

I have also had issues with WEP and never could get the cards to properly accept the codes.  Considering the weakness of WEP security I used WPA with a self designated code and had no issues with that process.  I also suggest you change the SSID as there may be others nearby with the same SSID and you may not realize you are attempting to connect to that one.  This happened to me with my linksys and it took me a few tries to become aware of this happening. 

Bigjeff

Thanks you both for the SSID suggestion, however in altering & saving that change thru Verizon's administrative options of the gateway's site, I still could not establish a connection after removing & adding the new SSID with the WEP key on the Thinkpad's wireless properties windows.

However, there are advanced settings within the wireless section of the site where I can change from using WEP to WPA & some other key options. But, when I make this change, back on the wireless home page of the gateway's site, there is no where to be found the option to create or listed a pre-generated WPA key & nor does my Thinkpad in it's wireless properties window offer a WPA option (only DISABLED or WEP is available) which I thought was extremely odd.

Any further suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated!

"Sincerely & desperately frustrated at this point and I thought I knew alot about computers, maybe i'll just stick to the gym,"

Big Jeff

0 Likes
Bigjeff

Just a further update on this issue with this Actiontec modem/router & in what i've been trying to do.

I've NOW disabled temporarily the WEP & likewise removed the Thinkpad's MAC address from the Wireless MAC authentication I entered on the gateway's site in hopes of that helping earlier, which of course, it didn't. With a completely unsecure router open for all to connect to, I STILL CANNOT establish a connection between the router & our Thinkpad, even though the Thinkpad does see the modem/router with the SSID displayed on the Wireless Connection Window!!! This would be like coming home, realizing you don't have your house key's, the front door being unlocked, but being unable to get in! It doesn't make any sense. PLEASE HELP! What in the world is going on and what do I need to do to get this thing working!?!?

To likewise acknowledge that makes this situation even more strange, when this Actiontec modem/router was purchased a few weeks ago, we successfully connected my daughters iPod Touch SUCCESSFULLY thru the secure connection with the WEP key we've been trying to use to likewise connect the Thinkpad to the router with. But again, with the complete unsecure connection, along with generating a different WEP key on the gateway's site & still not being able to connect, what is going on?!?!

Desperately in need of assistance.

Big Jeff

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Odd.

#1 You are sure, that you are connecting to the correct SSID?

#2 The computer is not setup to use a Static IP?

This does not mean a Static IP is a bad thing.

I point to http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

#3 The web browser is not set to use a proxy server?

If you have no idea of what I mean, at least the name of the web browser would help.

^^

hansendd
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've had the exact same problem with the T40.  I've seen it happen with two different T40's.  I have a T60 and am able to get that to work fine.  I tried installing an AppleTV device yesterday and am having the same problem.  I'm going to try and get a new Westell wireless router or possibly have them send out a wired modem and I'll just connect a Linksys router to it.  I think that should do the trick, but no matter what I've done (with WEP or completely unsecure) I have some devices I just can't get the Westell to dish out an IP address to.  The model we are dealing with is a VersaLink Model 327W.

hracer
Contributor - Level 2

Bigjeff My first question is why did you change from your original setup? If the previous equipment worked, then go back to it. It sounds like you have a router problem. If by making changes to the router settings do not  get applied or changing the SSID name, changing the security key or even keeping it unsecure do not fix the issue, then the issue is with the router. Your PC worked withe the previous setup I assume. If it worked before with the same PC, then again it's the router. Replace it. enough said. Hope this helps and good luck.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the record, what Wireless chipset/card is your IBM Thinkpad T40 using? If it isn't a firmware related issue with the ActionTec causing the association issue, it could be an incompatibility between the two radios on either side that are preventing complete association.