Trouble with VPN Connection
neojag

I have been having connection issues with my VPN connection to my workplace since I changed over to FIOS service.  I have FIOS Internet TV and Phone service.  I have the Actiontec router running version D under the 10.7 firmware.  I am unable to update the firmware as I recieve an error message stating the hardware does not support the update.

I have called Verizon Tech Support numerous times and am basically told that Verizon does not support VPN "software" but I have seen forums that state otherwise and say this is basically a router configuration issue but I can't get to anyone who can tell me how to reconfigure the router. 

I can establish the VPN connection, but no data is ever transferred and I cannot access any network drives.

I was told at one point there is an Expert Care division at Verizon but nobody at Verizon seems to know about them if they do exist.

I really need to get my VPN working again. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Trouble with VPN Connection
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3
Hi, regular tech support doesn't deal with setting configuration in the router, but I had a port forwarding issue and they were able to get actiontec support on the line to assist.  Hope this helps.
Message Edited by iheartfios123 on 03-24-2009 04:44 PM
0 Likes
fios24
Enthusiast - Level 3

if you can establish a VPN connection but cannot access resources, the issue is how the vpn is router inside the vpn. once you made the connection to the vpn, the ISP is no longer involved at all other than to make sure packets get from point a to point b. how things are routed, network drives etc are all the responsibility of the IT department or VPN software vendor.

0 Likes
neojag

I told Tech Support I was trying to get to someone who could reconfigure the router and they never offered Actiontecs assistance.  Is there a direct contact for them or do I have to go through Verizon.

I've talked to my IT department and they say it's a FIOS issue.  I never had any connection issues until after FIOS was installed.  My VPN connected fine and nothing at my workplace has been changed so it must be FIOS related.

0 Likes
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3
I think that Verizon has to contact them, my rep had to stay on the line with us.
0 Likes
fios24
Enthusiast - Level 3

@neojag wrote:

I told Tech Support I was trying to get to someone who could reconfigure the router and they never offered Actiontecs assistance.  Is there a direct contact for them or do I have to go through Verizon.

I've talked to my IT department and they say it's a FIOS issue.  I never had any connection issues until after FIOS was installed.  My VPN connected fine and nothing at my workplace has been changed so it must be FIOS related.

it's not fios. you already said you are establishing a vpn connection. once that's done, fios job is done. any internal networking, and once you are on a vpn all networking / routing is internal is handled by the vpn server.

0 Likes
neojag

No, its definitely FIOS or the FIOS Actiontec router.  I can connect to any other internet connection and VPN without issues.  The only thing that has changed is I switched to FIOS.

I've seen other posts where people have the same issue and the constant is, they just switched to FIOS.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@neojag wrote:

I have been having connection issues with my VPN connection to my workplace since I changed over to FIOS service.  I have FIOS Internet TV and Phone service.  I have the Actiontec router running version D under the 10.7 firmware.  I am unable to update the firmware as I recieve an error message stating the hardware does not support the update.

I have called Verizon Tech Support numerous times and am basically told that Verizon does not support VPN "software" but I have seen forums that state otherwise and say this is basically a router configuration issue but I can't get to anyone who can tell me how to reconfigure the router. 

I can establish the VPN connection, but no data is ever transferred and I cannot access any network drives.

I was told at one point there is an Expert Care division at Verizon but nobody at Verizon seems to know about them if they do exist.

I really need to get my VPN working again. Any suggestions?

Expert Care I believe is an added computer support option you must pay extra for.

Try to log into your router and see if it works if you place that computers IP in the DMZ. If it does then it is a router firewall issue, and not a fios issue.

Under Firewall settings you can enter DMZ HOST IP. The selection for DMZ HOST is under the Firewall Menu and on the side bar. To find the IP of your computer you can type ipconfig at a comand prompt. If you use this method, you may want to set your PC to a static IP address. I have heard that placing the computer IP in as DMZ host solves this in certain VPN configurations. I prefer not to place the PC as a DMZ host but to figure what is being blocked for a long term fix. But this will tell you if it is a router issue.

0 Likes
neojag

I tried setting my computer as the DMZ host IP but that didn't seem to work.  I'm still encountering the same issues with the VPN connection.

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

What is it, exactly, that you think the router is doing, or not doing?   You ARE getting out to the internet to anywhere you want to visit, including to your works' VPN [server].  [ you get out to, and you receive, web sites, etc. ] You say that you cannot access your network drives at work through your works' VPN [server]. is it that you think the Verizon router is not [serving] you that access ?  Please explain a little more. 

Do you know how a VPN works [ through ] an otherwise normal router? have you or your works' IT people looked at portforward.com ?  A well-designed VPN uses several methods for keeping your connection and data secure:

• Firewalls
  • Encryption
  • IPSec
0 Likes