Re: Trouble with VPN Connection
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
oops! I wasn't finished . .      but those methods listed are all on the VPN server, not on your router. 
0 Likes
neojag

It seems to me that the router is somehow blocking the data from being sent between myself and my work network.  I can establish a VPN connection, but that status window shows little to no data being transferred. and I cannot access any netork drives.

When I first encountered this issue, my first call was to my IT department.  They looked at my computer and accessed my network and router at home and they could not find the cause of the problem.  I went to various other locations and attempted to establish a connection and have been successful in every other location I have tried, except for my home. 

I previously had Verizon DSL and never had an issue with my VPN.  The ONLY thing that has changed is that I now have FIOS with a new router. 

I had read in other posts that there are similiar cases out there like this.  One person was told to upgrade their firmware which I can not do because I recieve error messages.  Another was told that the VPN doesn't like the coax connection to the router and they should run an ethernet connection.  They did that and had no luck.  Others were told that they needed a secondary router becuase the Actiontec router wouldn't allow a VPN connection.  In this post, a Verizon representative finally stated that it does appear that the router is the cause of the issue and they were going to see if they could get the issue resolved, but I have never seen any more correspondences.

I myself have not been to portforward.com but would be willing to try anything. 

0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Once again, if the connection is established on the VPN then it is working.  The only thing that I could possibly suggest is dropping the router's firewall settings to a lower level.  If my memory serves me correctly a VPN should be able to override the Actiontec's firewall settings, but if it isn't setup correctly on your VPN's side then it might not be the case.

I would say try to see what happens dropping your Actiontec's firewall to minimum to allow inbound and outbound.  Honestly, besides that, everything is working as it should through your home connection. 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
One more idea. I have heard that some users with VPN will not work with 192.168.x.x subnet due to some VPN restrictions on the network they are connecting to or perhaps a conflict. One user changed the router address and network subnet to 10.0.1.x or something on the 10.x.x.x subnet. It could be the network you are connecting to uses the same private IP subnet, and there is a routing conflict. Just another idea.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-28-2009 06:10 PM
0 Likes
neojag

I tried lowering the firewall setting and that didn't work.

Also, I was thinking about the comment about the subnet settings but I really don't think there is any conflict with the network I am connecting to. 

Nothing has changed on this network and I can connect to it through VPN through multiple offsite locations.

I'm willing to give it a shot though.  How exactly would I make this change?  Once I change this, will my router access ip change? 

0 Likes
Arun3

Your LAN subnet doesnot matter when you connect to VPN, you hit the VPN router via public IP and once connected you'll be on your office network.

I understood that you are able to connect to VPN but can't access your network, is that correct? If so after the connection, do ipconfig/all and check the IP address for your VPN and then the gateway for that IP. Try to ping the Gateway IP.

What I am thinking is your router is not allowing VPN protocols. Check the router logs that might help to determine the cause.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

There have been a number of people that have had an issue with the IP address conflicting with the IP on the network they are attempting to make a VPN connection with. This is one case that was solved by changeing the IP subnet. Here are the instructions.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&message.id=3297&query.id=99491#M...

Also techman28 had a case where the VPN would not connect through the router that was useing coax for the WAN port and when they switched tp Ethernet things worked. To do this you would need to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router and then have Verizon switch the IP connection on the ONT to Ethernet instead of COAX.

Let me look for that thread. It is in this thread. If you use the search feature in the forums there is a wealth of information on various topics.

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=1689&view=by_date_asce...

Message Edited by prisaz on 03-30-2009 05:33 PM
0 Likes
fios24
Enthusiast - Level 3

@neojag wrote:

It seems to me that the router is somehow blocking the data from being sent between myself and my work network.  I can establish a VPN connection, but that status window shows little to no data being transferred. and I cannot access any netork drives.

When I first encountered this issue, my first call was to my IT department.  They looked at my computer and accessed my network and router at home and they could not find the cause of the problem.  I went to various other locations and attempted to establish a connection and have been successful in every other location I have tried, except for my home. 

I previously had Verizon DSL and never had an issue with my VPN.  The ONLY thing that has changed is that I now have FIOS with a new router. 

I had read in other posts that there are similiar cases out there like this.  One person was told to upgrade their firmware which I can not do because I recieve error messages.  Another was told that the VPN doesn't like the coax connection to the router and they should run an ethernet connection.  They did that and had no luck.  Others were told that they needed a secondary router becuase the Actiontec router wouldn't allow a VPN connection.  In this post, a Verizon representative finally stated that it does appear that the router is the cause of the issue and they were going to see if they could get the issue resolved, but I have never seen any more correspondences.

I myself have not been to portforward.com but would be willing to try anything. 

all right, i wasn't going to get more involved in this discussion, but here's the thing, i did vpn deployments for 10 years. i've setup vpn's in many many different enviroments and you know what, when the client end side has INTERNET access, i have never questioned the ISP and i have ALWAYS managed a resolution without getting the ISP involved, do you know why? because the ISP only provides an INTERNET connection and any valid VPN client side software will work with any working internet connection and the really good ones will get thru most firewalls and routers without making any changes to the router. the most likely issue here based on what i see is, your home router has a 192.168.1.x ip addressing scheme and your router at work has the same scheme, 192.168.1.x that 1 in the third set there cannot be the same. hence it worked with your other router because your other router was probably set to 192.168.0.x scheme. only reason i didn't post this before is because i assumed this is the first thing your IT dept checked but i'm beginning to suspect they didn't do any work at all.

if you continue to have issues, the next place to approach is the vendor that provided the equipment. as long as an internet connection is working your vpn client should work. if it doesn't it is an issue with configuration of your vpn client. i'm not qualified to speak beyond that because the number and methods of vpn clients on the market are many and my expertise is really only with 3 or 4 different methods.

0 Likes
neojag

I actually went ahead and emailed support at the Actiontec site and this is they state that when a coax connection from the Motorola 612 ONT is used, the Verizon modem is fragmenting the VPN packets.  They state that a replacement modem is necessary or at least an ethernet connection from the ONT should be used.

Seems to make sense, but it is also a similiar solution as to what Techman28 states in the forum referenced by prisaz but the final solution in this forum still entails a secondary router. This also points the problem to the Verizon modem, not the router.

I will try adjusting the router addressing scheme tonight and see if I have any luck.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@neojag wrote:

I actually went ahead and emailed support at the Actiontec site and this is they state that when a coax connection from the Motorola 612 ONT is used, the Verizon modem is fragmenting the VPN packets.  They state that a replacement modem is necessary or at least an ethernet connection from the ONT should be used.

Seems to make sense, but it is also a similiar solution as to what Techman28 states in the forum referenced by prisaz but the final solution in this forum still entails a secondary router. This also points the problem to the Verizon modem, not the router.

I will try adjusting the router addressing scheme tonight and see if I have any luck.

I have the 610 ONT so I must use the Ethernet, because it does not support MOCA. And only the TV comes over the COAX. I prefer that configuration anyway. Let us know how you make out. You could have Verizon switch your ONT to Ethernet and still use the Actiontec router. You would need Ethernet and coax from your ONT to your router. FIOS does not use a modem it uses the router with MOCA support. I guess you could call the MOCA a modem. Just run an Ethernet cable from you ONT to you router and then put in a request for them to change the Internet from COAX to Ethernet. I have heard the can do this while you wait, but have also heard it takes 24hrs?
0 Likes