Upgrading Fios Router
roads722

I presently have an "Actiontec M1424WR" It was originally set up for TV & Internet. It is connected by Coax. Now we did away with the TV service, and we just have Fios Internet. 

Now my questions are how to do this change out? From what I know so far, is that I disconnect the Coax and Run an Ethernet Cable to the ONT Ethernet Jack.  No after that do Oi have to call Verizon to have the ethernet turned on? and after that is everything straight forward from there? 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading Fios Router
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, congratulations on keeping that Actiontec M1424WR plugging along. The short answer is that you will most likely have to have Verizon switch you from coax to Ethernet at the ONT. Verizon can do it remotely if you run the Ethernet cable yourself.

You can either choose to buy a new Verizon Router (which would be the CR1000A currently), or you can bring your own. I recommend looking at the post: Using your own router with Verizon Fios for details about that. There's information about how to get your service moved from coax to Ethernet, too.

View solution in original post

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First, congratulations on keeping that Actiontec M1424WR plugging along. The short answer is that you will most likely have to have Verizon switch you from coax to Ethernet at the ONT. Verizon can do it remotely if you run the Ethernet cable yourself.

You can either choose to buy a new Verizon Router (which would be the CR1000A currently), or you can bring your own. I recommend looking at the post: Using your own router with Verizon Fios for details about that. There's information about how to get your service moved from coax to Ethernet, too.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep. Run Ethernet between your router and ONT. Contact Verizon afterwards to switch the ONT over to Ethernet.

It may be easier to order 300Mbps Mix&Match Service (might save you some money!) and request a Self Install with your order (if your ONT is a GPON model), since part of the switch-over will cause Ethernet to be enabled on your ONT. If you go this route, leave Ethernet and Coax connected between the ONT and router, and your MI424WR will switch over to the Ethernet automatically when that order is pushed through. At that point, you can switch it out for your own router or leave it as is.

roads722

Hello and thanks for your quick reply! You have confirmed the steps, Thanks. I am just getting around to replacing this Actiontec with a "Verizon 2.0" they sent us over a year ago. The Actiontec was working so we never bothered with it. So now I see they have a newer version from Verizon.  Should exchange for the newer one, or will this 2.0 suffice? Thanks again for your help!

0 Likes