Use of 192.168.1.x with remote DVR
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

Recently added the TV service and have been using a third party router to get on the Internet.  I learned that one needs the Actiontec router as the primary router to get the remote DVR to work.  Kind of a cool feature but the instructions say I must use default configuration of the actiontec router which uses 192.168.1.x.  My company has informed me to NOT use 192.168.1.x as my local network because my VPN will not work properly. 

Will the remote DVR feature work if I use say a 10.10.1.x network instead of 192.168.1.x?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Use of 192.168.1.x with remote DVR
fios24
Enthusiast - Level 3

yes, you can use any ip address scheme you want. i have fios at home and use 192.168.2.x. here is the issue tho, if you ever have any internet connectivity issues and you call into tech support, part of the basic troubleshooting procedure there is to have you pin reset your router. this will set you back to defaults.

other than that, no issues, there is a dhcp range reserved for video in the actiontec router but that will automatically adjust when you make the change to router ip address.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
fios24
Enthusiast - Level 3

yes, you can use any ip address scheme you want. i have fios at home and use 192.168.2.x. here is the issue tho, if you ever have any internet connectivity issues and you call into tech support, part of the basic troubleshooting procedure there is to have you pin reset your router. this will set you back to defaults.

other than that, no issues, there is a dhcp range reserved for video in the actiontec router but that will automatically adjust when you make the change to router ip address.

0 Likes
jumpin683
Contributor - Level 1

Great. Thanks.  Now to call VZ and get them to release my IP address so I can put the Verizon ActionCrap in.

Thanks again

Jim

0 Likes