Verizon DSL requiring repeated modem reboots
V3user
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have Verizon DSL on a Verizon-issued Westell modem. For the past week or two, I've had no internet access even though the modem shows that everything is up. This is happening at least once or twice a day. Rebooting the modem resolves the issue temporarily. Is Verizon having issues with its DSL service? Is my modem going bad?  How do I fix this annoying issue?

Re: Verizon DSL requiring repeated modem reboots
V3user
Enthusiast - Level 3

Would someone please help me with this issue?

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Just a friendly reminder, this is a forum where users help other users. If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service, as well as to schedule a repair, here is the link:
http://www.verizon.com/repair
You can find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue:
http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/ for us and do the following:

a) If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

b) If using the Red and Black Firmware: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy and paste the information on that page.

c) Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

d) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

-----

If trying to go to 192.168.1.1 does not take you the Westell unit, please post.

If trying to log-in does not work, please post.

0 Likes
MizzTee1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had this issue for over 4 months.  Could usually get back on by resetting the modem - that is until last Friday, Feb 24, 2017.   It may be that the line in your area is dying – here is what is happening to me.   On that day (2/24) my entire phone service, voice & DSL went down.  I called and was "guaranteed" that my service would be back by 8pm Tuesday 2/28.  I have voice - very crackly as of Saturday afternoon (my brother called me)  - 'great' I thought, 'I can get back to my project on the web'.  No dice - no DSL, just a red light blinking on the DSL indicator of my modem. When the tech called on Saturday to tell me my service was back up and the ticket was being closed - I told him the DSL was still down, so he opened another ticket for me and thought that they'd probably get to it on Monday the 27th.  On Monday we got a call from the supervisor that they hadn’t been able to get to it because the manhole where a cable problem was located had been flooded and should be dried out enough for them to get to it on Tuesday.  On Tuesday they discovered that the cable was so bad that they couldn’t fix it and will have to port everyone onto another existing cable.  (Note: why not actually replace the cable?) The supervisor that let us know this assured us that she had put a priority on getting our service back asap.   Thursday I called and left a message for the supervisor to call me I need my service back NOW!  I have a project that was due last weekend that I can’t touch until my service is back.  Friday morning (today) the supervisor called me back (on my cell), got my home phone # and promised to check in with the technician and call me right back.  An hour and ½ later I am still waiting for the call.  I’m not a fan of the hassle needed to tell everyone I’m changing our email; but if I don’t have service by tonight – bring me a cell to WiFi hotspot or something!  I will be calling Spectrum and transferring to a cable modem on Monday!  (Posted from my workplace as I have NO home DSL)

0 Likes
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

Hi MizzTee,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases." You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe." Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes