Verizon FIOS Router internet connection coax vs ethernet
vdizzle1

Hi, so I currently have Verizon FIOS TV & Internet bundle. I have a Verizon FIOS router Actiontec MI424WR-GEN3I that connects to the internet via the coaxial cable not the WAN ethernet port.

Now I would like to bridge or replace my verizon FIOS router and use my own Sophos UTM router. The problem I found out was that if I bridge the verizon router, my cable boxes won't work properly (the tv guide stops working, on demand, etc).

I read that I can request verizon to switch my internet connection from coax to ethernet. I looked into the box outside my house and I saw the ethernet port in the ONT box. I can run an ethernet cable from the ONT box to the verizon router or my own sophos router. I know I would need to ask verizon tech support to release the dhcp lease so that I can connect my own router directly. The only concern I have is if I can do all of this and still have my cable boxes working properly with on demand.

Again, I'm asking if I switch my internet connection going into either my verizon router or my own sophos router from coax to ethernet, will my cable boxes still work properly? Will there be a significant change in up/down speeds (I currently have 75 up and 75 down)?

Thank you in advanced!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon FIOS Router internet connection coax vs ethernet
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other customers here.

A couple of quick points:

• You can release the WAN IP address from the router configuration pages; no call to Verizon needed.
  • FiOS TV services won't work without a Verizon router in the network.
  • Non-Verizon routers should work with your speed, unless you use an outdated or underpowered router.
  • Verizon routers have reasonable WiFi range and WiFi speed.  High end non-Verizon routers can be better.
  • The following FAQ on FiOS router configurations is very helpful:
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

Enjoy.

0 Likes
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Verizon's router does not have to be the primary device providing access to the Internet or in-home wireless service.

To utilize another router as your primary gateway (1) establish an Ethernet connection to the ONT.

To maintain FiOS TV Services (e.g. VOD, DVR & Program Guide features) (2) establish a LAN Ethernet connection between a switch port from your primary router to Verizon's Actiontec router and create a MoCA bridge.

This setup works just fine and is the configuration I use at home.

There may be some services a MoCA bridge will not support (e.g. Caller ID on TV), but I'm not absolutely sure.

From Actiontec support:

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Configure_MI424WR_as_a_LAN_MoCA_Bridge.pdf

optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Hello, I have not participated w/the Verizon technical Forum(s) for quite a while. Did you get this issue resolved? If not are you still interested with pursuing this?

0 Likes
Monkey741
Enthusiast - Level 1

@optivity wrote:

Verizon's router does not have to be the primary device providing access to the Internet or in-home wireless service.

To utilize another router as your primary gateway (1) establish an Ethernet connection to the ONT.

To maintain FiOS TV Services (e.g. VOD, DVR & Program Guide features) (2) establish a LAN Ethernet connection between a switch port from your primary router to Verizon's Actiontec router and create a MoCA bridge.

This setup works just fine and is the configuration I use at home.

There may be some services a MoCA bridge will not support (e.g. Caller ID on TV), but I'm not absolutely sure.

From Actiontec support:

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Configure_MI424WR_as_a_LAN_MoCA_Bridge.pdf

Hello, optivity. First of all, thank you very much for your post.

I followed your instructions and was able to get further than before. I connected from the LAN port on the VZ router to my switch, after bridging it.

Here is what I'm encountering now:

1. When I'm in the house, I'm able to watch live TV, even though it takes a while to load. After it finally loads, I'm able to see the recordings, however, I'm unable to whatch the shows that I have recorded.

2. When connecting from outside, it loads pretty quickly, however, I'm not able to see what I have recorded, or favorites, or watch live TV.

Did you run into this problems problems? If so, were you able to find a fix for it?

Thank you very much for the help.

0 Likes