Verizon Fios Issues with Google websites and Authentication
temp999
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi I'm having issues trying to connect to Google related products (gmail, google search, youtube) and general requests that involve trying to login/ authenticate on website (Ex. signing into Spotify, Uber, etc). Other websites such as Twitter, Reddit, Twitch, etc work perfectly fine, but if I try to sign into these websites then the page just hangs.

This issue started on Friday March 17th 2023 and is very intermittent. When the problem does occur attempting to ping google.com will give the error "Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again". Attempting to do an nslookup on google.com will give an "Unknown can't find google.com: No response from server". The problem will last for about 10 minutes but then will resolve itself automatically.

I've contacted Verizon to have them reset my ONT and factory reset my router which will resolve the problem immediately, but termporarily. The issue will then start up again after some unknown period of time. When the issue is occurring it affects both ethernet connected devices (PC) as well as wifi connected devices (iPhone) on both the 2 and 5GHZ bands. Verizon customer service is not very helpful as they use my older router G1100 as a fallback to why this issue might be occurring since the router is older.

I've found other threads here that mentions disabling TCP/ UDP IPv6 checksum, disabling home network protection but this does not resolve the issue. I've also disabled SON (Self Organized Network) as suggested by this reddit post but still no luck. 

Using a different DNS server like Google or Cloudflare also does not resolve the issue. I found that some people are reporting the issue on downdetector but really have no clue what I can do here. I'm located on the east coast if others are having the same issue.

Labels (1)
Re: Verizon Fios Issues with Google websites and Authentication
thedingding
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issue with my devices and I've tried all sorts of things with changing devices, switches, Wi-Fi, everything but still having that issue. By any chance what router are you using that's from Verizon?

codye91
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having this same issue, and it coincides with the issue posted before me yours on the forum. This issue resembles that of a poor DNS, as normal internet outside of google-related content seems to work just fine.

My speeds are still high, around 900/700, but websites are loading extremely slowly, and some messaging services are completely unresponsive. I’ve setup custom DNS, as well as taking all the normal steps in resetting devices as well. It is absolutely wrecking my Google Mesh network in my home.

I’m located in Virginia, but this issue started Friday morning for me as well. Seems to be effecting a lot of the east coast.

nheane123
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue and same timeframe. The issue also imapcts YouTube TV running over the Fios network both wired and wifi. A reboot does help but after a while the issue returns.

I chatted with a rep yesterday who had no idea what the problem was, did the remote reboot and thought that fixed it but again this morning it has returned.

JasoninDC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am experiencing EXACTLY the same problem and our issues started on 3/17/23 as well. We are running a quantum connection. We had a Nest Wifi router plugged into the Fios router with an ethernet cable and connected to 2 points. We noticed internet becoming intermittent and then - on virtually all machines on the WIFI - an intermittent ability to access google.com and other google services (but not all).

I have tried removing the Nest Wifi router and points, factory resetting the Verizon Router and reconnecting just to Fios with Nest unplugged (same issue), static DHS (same issue), ipv6 (off), parental controls (not on), and renewing all IP addresses, etc. -- all with no luck. MAC filtering is not enabled.

I spent an hour on the phone today with Verizon walking through similar steps - with the same results. This is happening across MOST devices - Apple, Android, PC -- but not all . For some reason, my work computer -(a PC that is NOT on a VPN) seems to work fine connected to Nest Wifi (once I plugged just the router back in, with no points), as does the one Alexa Echo I have reconnected.

Security logs seem to clearly indicate something is being blocked (note, I have XX'd the MAC id in case they cane be used maliciously. The MAC ID corresponds to the Verizon router

notice<173>

Blocked IN=eth1 OUT= MAC=[MAC ID] src=193.163.125.89 DST=100.15.251.69 LEN=44 TOS=00 PREC=0x00 TTL=248 ID=62301 PROTO=TCP SPT=58962 DPT=7 SEQ=2805698693 ACK=0 WINDOW=14600 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0

I am in Washington, DC. A technician is coming out today, and I am hoping the hours I have spent on this issue will help them find some resolution.

thedingding
Enthusiast - Level 2

So for now I have resolved my issue. 

Setup was ONT > G1100 > mikrotik

Now ONT > Mikrotik > G1100(so I still have on demand)

I put a Ethernet cable in wan port of g1100 to my mikrotik so it would still have internet so tv guide and on demand still worked 

Whatever firmware they pushed last week is messing up dns. The only way to bypass the issue is to do this. I am 9 hours in and all of my devices are working correctly now.

0 Likes
codye91
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is interesting. I have also found that the only way currently to set up a Google Mesh network is to connect it directly to the ONT. Otherwise, it will not find the internet.

You may be on to something here. 

If I run this setup, it will be:

ONT > Google Wifi > G1100

ONT > G1100 > Google Wifi does not work.

0 Likes
thedingding
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think they pushed an updated to the G1100 and that's why its messing up.  We are not the only ones that are having the issue but they told me yesterday I just need to buy a new modem from them....No thank you.  They need to fix the firmware they pushed to our devices.  

Make sure you have the G1100 plugged into the mesh network port so your TV guide and On Demand options still work.

0 Likes
SteveAbramson
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same issue. Google.com related searches work for a few minutes after a router reboot and then slowly hang on most devices. Hard wired devices seem to work most of the time butr wireless do not. I changed  the DNS to use google dns. Same result.   I also have Google Home mesh network. 

Firmware Version:
Hardware Version:
UI Version:
v1.0.415
Model Name:
Fios-G1100

Anyone have any more info on this issue ?? Thanks!
0 Likes
SteveAbramson
Enthusiast - Level 1

Talked to a Verizon Rep yesterday about this issue.  To recap last Friday 3/17/23 I could no longer access google.com on any wireless devices.  I have google home mesh network connected to my Verizon  G1100 router. 2 machines I have hard wired directly into he G1100 were able to access google.com most of the time.  In addition to google.com problems, my linux machine was having all sorts of DNS issues accessing various software development servers I use for work. I changed DNS in the router to use google dns(rather than the default Verizon DNS) and this had no effect. Initially I thought this was related to my google home mesh network so I changed DNS on that as well with no change. To be clear, on a G1100 and/or google mesh network reboot , google.com would work for about 15-20 minutes and then hang forever after that.  At first the smart TV did seem to work ok but then starting buffering on streaming services and finally stopped working 20min after reboot like google.com.  My son's roku did not work.  Browsing all other web sites worked fine on all devices at all times except for some apps which require location services. 

Explained all of this to the rep - she had never heard of this issue and I pointed her to this thread.   She asked all her colleagues and  got feedback  and suggested turning off Home Network Protection .  This seemed to solve the issue for me as its been about 12 hours and everything has been working fine.  My suggestion would be to have Verizon turn HNP off for you (doing it yourself in the Fios app may not have the exact same effect).  Also if the HNP is already turned off you may want to ask them to toggle it on and then back off to resolve the issue.  Good Luck. 

0 Likes