Verizon GT704-WG-B modem. Sudden, frequent disconnects.
Myriad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I've been searching on Google and reading forums everywhere for a solution yet I can't seem to find one anywhere. The closest to my issue was this post http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Connection-keeps-dropping/td-p/283839, only at the end they OP doesn't really explain how they fixed their problem, only that it stopped.

The only difference is my internet pauses, the internet light goes off on the modem, begins resetting itself, working again a few moments later, but only for about 5-15 minutes before repeating that process again. This happens randomly and normally happens all at once for a long time before I give up and go to sleep then try the next day.

I've tried many steps I've read over time from power cycling, using a preferred DNS server, ipconfig/release(and renew [which I read my specific model seems to block me from resetting my IP?]), checking the phone line, and checking the filters.

In a last ditch effort I tried calling the house on my cell, and after reaching voicemail it seems that the internet would pop off briefly. I thought maybe the problem was the phones, so I unplugged them all and that seemed to work for a few hours. Then tonight (Starting at 9:30PM PST I believe) it began all over again with it resetting itself over and over until I gave up on what I had planned to do.

I'm hoping someone here can help with my issue.

One last bit of information; This issue only began happening AFTER recieving a recent upgrade to my speed (From 7MB to 15MB I believe), before then I had almost zero issues with connection and none that a simple reboot of my old modem didn't fix, and I've been with Verizon since I think their DSL first came out.

Re: Verizon GT704-WG-B modem. Sudden, frequent disconnects.
Myriad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update

It's now 10:11PM, and the router cut out at 9:30PM exactly again. I've been bouncing on & off of the connection since.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into the ActionTec at http://192.168.1.1/ and locate the Status pages of the ActionTec. From there, locate the DSL Stats page which will contain information such as SN Margin, Attenuation, your line speed, and the power the line is running at. Provide the information you see on that page.

If you need a login, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Router Serial Number

Your Verizon Username and Password

0 Likes
Myriad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

DSL Status

VPI: 0

VCI: 35

DSL Mode Setting: Auto

DSL Negotiated Mode: ADSL2+

Connection Status: ShowTime

Speed (down/up): 16319 / 1056 Kbps

ATM Qos class: UBR

Output Power (Downstream/Upstream): 12.3 / 19.4 dBm

Attainable Rate (Downstream/Upstream): 18488 / 1117 Kbps

HEC Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 1174 / 3307

OCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 231/0

LCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream): 2 / 0

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream): 7.3 10.0 dB

Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream): 22.0 / 8.6 dB

My constant disconnection issue happened again today though it started around 7:00PM rather then 9:30. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your downstream margin is a bit low and your speed isn't where it should be for the 15Mbps speed. If you have access to a NID, could you plug your modem into the NID and then provide those same statistics again? I'm looking to see if there is a large change between your home's wiring and the readings at the NID.

If you need information on what a NID is: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes
Myriad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't believe anything like that was ever installed in my house, if it was then it went completely over my head.

Are NIDs required to use DSL? I'd have to do some searching to try to find it if that's the case.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A NID is not required for DSL Service, though it is pretty much required as a part of a telephone network due to how grounding is needed as well as troubleshooting for the line. If you look near your Electrical box or your electrical service enterance either in your basement or outside, you should find your NID. If you know which line coming into your home is for telephone, follow it until it joins up with your home's wiring. That point of joining will be your NID. If you have a large front lawn or if your home is farther away from the street than normal, you might have an extension pole for the electrical, Cable TV and Phone cables. The NID might also be located on that extension pole if one exists.

0 Likes
Myriad1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to find the NID, but it looks like it's already directly connected into it from as far as I can tell.

My internet was stable for a couple of days, then decided to break off again.

I had called Verizon to see if they'd fix it (which is why it worked for two days, or so I thought), but now it's right back to how it was before.