Verizon blocks Hong Kongs Anti Chinese Commuist website?
spika

I've been trying to access www.passiontimes.hk for the past few months. I am unable to access it via facebook links, google or yahoo. I tried IE and chrome.  The same issue also happened to several websites that usually speak againist the Chinese communists. Stangely, nothing bad is happening when I visit the Chinese website that is pro-Chinese Communist and pretty fast too lol. This is weird. I am not saying Verizon is doing anything on purpose but I wonder what is happening. Do they got hecked or someone flagged the website as unsafe or something? This issue is getting more frequent after the umbrella movement in Hong Kong. Is it pure coincidence that somehow something got wrong at the wrong time and at the wrong websites? Hmmm...Or maybe the Chinese internet navy (that's what they call the them...) is doing someting on the other side and it's not verizon's doing? Strangely, all my friends in Hong Kong can visit the website. Whenever I type the website or link to it, the broswer (IE or Chrome) only shows me a page saying, I clicked on the 1st result which suppose to be the website but no avail.

Sorry, We could not find www.passiontimes.hk

It may be unavailable or may not exist. Try using the suggestions or related links below, or search again using our web search.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon blocks Hong Kongs Anti Chinese Commuist website?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I doubt its  Verizon.  The Chinese goverment themselves block some sites.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tns_2 wrote:

I doubt its  Verizon.  The Chinese goverment themselves block some sites.

The site is being hosted through Google PageSpeed. Unless their domain was taken away by the Chinese Government, as the .hk TLD is being administered by a Hong Kong firm, the site should still work.

The website works fine from home here, however my DNS provider, OpenDNS doesn't seem to be able to look up their domain. Google DNS works fine.

0 Likes
spika

Thanks for the reply. I am now at my workplace. We have Optimum here and I suddenly realize I should try checking out the Passiontimes.hk again. Guess what? It works here. Strange.... Let me try again at home tonight with verizon and see what happens. Right now, I have tried using my own laptop and one of the work computer in the company. I will try using my laptop at home again and see if I can go through it with Verizon. If not, something is up with Verizon.

0 Likes
GreenPepper1

It happens to me too.  I just installed Verizon couple days ago, and i was on the phone with Verizon people this morning for an hour.  they still don't know what is the problem.  I asked them to try get in "passiontimes.hk" on their end, same thing happens to them.  

btw, did u resolve ur problem?  can u visit that page now?

0 Likes
Verizon block web page?!
GreenPepper1

I used to have Time Warner cable and was able to visit "passiontimes.hk" with no issue.  Or I should say I had bever had an issue with this web site at all via any ways.  However, once I switched to Verizon on Saturday, I can't get on that site anymore while i connect to wifi at home through my computer and my cell phoen.  Once i disconnected the wifi with my cell phone, it connects right back.  Then i did more research about that, seems like lots of people are having the same problem since Jan, 2015.  

"passtiontimes.hk" is a web radio station and I don't believe or I can't believe Verizon should block any site on their end... I'm so **bleep** now!!!!

0 Likes
Re: Verizon block web page?!
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon is still not blocking the site... please try changing your DNS Servers off of Verizon's (typically horrible) servers.

Here's a screenshot for proof showing my Verizon connection is able to load the site. The site is hosted with Google and the root nameservers belong to Google. This *could* cause problems for providers using AnyCast DNS that also have a presence in mainland China if a single resolver is having trouble querying for the domain. Most Google services hardly function, if they do at all, after Google and mainland Chinese government wound up in a dispute a few years ago (YouTube for example gives a connection reset).

Regardless, change your DNS Servers.

0 Likes