Verizon problem or modem problem?
GaileIrene
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is this a Verizon problem or modem problem?  

Early yesterday evening, in Philadelphia, I turned on my 4-year-old Westell 327.W modem/router and tried to connect to the internet.  Both my and my son’s computers connected to the Westell, but could not connect to the internet.  On the modem, the DSL light was solid green, while the internet light stayed off.  I tried turning  the Westell off and on, and pressing the reset button a few times.  Occasionally, a red internet light would turn on, but never green.  Most of the time the internet light just remained off.  I also fooled around with going to 192.168.1.1, but had no results there.  Just before 9 p.m., we went to BestBuy and bought a new modem/router.  The salesman reached way back on the shelf and pulled out perhaps the last Verizon wireless modem for me and remarked that he had 50 customers recently come in needing new modems!  He also said that he and some coworkers of his had had similar problems.  Apparently, he had been told by Verizon to buy a new modem, but his connection troubles continued.  Verizon checked his line, found a problem and were sending people out to fix it.  Thinking this over - that the trouble could be a Verizon one, and because it was late anyway, I decided to go to bed without opening or trying the new modem.

Magic!  In the morning, the internet worked normally.  My trusty old Westell’s internet light blinked green as usual!  Tell me, folks.  Should I return the unopened modem?  Or do you think my modem is on its deathbed?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon problem or modem problem?
GaileIrene
Enthusiast - Level 2

It seems nobody has an opinion on my question, cares enough to answer, or can't answer because every time they try to register they are redirected to the wrong page.  Possibly, nobody is interested because I did not pump out technical mumbo jumbo citing percentages of things like ping averages, serial baud rates, etc.?  Or did my question get no attention because I did not threaten to burn somebody's holy book?  Sigh.

At any rate, since my internet service and modem now work properly, and because I could find no advantages to replacing my older Westell 327W with the Verizon GT704WB, I will return the new unopened modem.  The words of the BestBuy salesman about a flurry of customers recently having similar problems that apparently might not be fixed with a modem switch was another factor.  At any rate, if I were to upgrade to a different type of service, a new modem would likely be as useless as the old one.  I'll keep my old Westell modem.

0 Likes
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

It is my understanding that this forum provides useful information from and for those who post here.  We all learn from the questions and answers we read here.  It is unfortunate that you expected an immediate answer to your posting as the posting time between your postings is less than two hours.  In the future please be patient and some useful info will likely be available.

GaileIrene
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear Sir,

Two hours, plus TWO DAYS!

Perhaps it is time for an eye doctor appointment for someone?!

0 Likes
mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

My apologies as I missed the date.  The rest of my statement stands.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you just has a dsl hiccup.  I'd return the new modem - didn't even know you could buy them in a retailer.

If I suspected a bad modem I'd ask VZ to replace it as without it their service is useless and you could validly cancel.

RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I check this forum about once a week.  I suspect I'm not the only one.  Maybe that's why answers are so slow in coming.

I normally don't answer questions where I don't think my answer is helpful.  But I'll make an exception in this case, just to keep the conversation going.  A lot of what I think I know about data comm is guesswork and folklore, rather than good solid theory.

I think the solid green DSL light means that the modem inside your 327W is communicating with another modem located at Verizon's switching office.  That pretty much exonerates your 327W as the source of the error, although there are parts of the 327W that might cause the failure mode you indicate.

To me, the fact that hundreds of customers showed up at Best Buy needing the same modem at the same time is a strong indication of where the problem lies.  I'll bet it was a network problem with Verizon's gateway.  Here, I'm not referring to the 327W, which is sometimes referred to as a "residential gateway").  I'm referring to Verizon's gateway to the internet.  If that box is messed up, or if its database of users and passwords is messed up,  it could cause exactly the same symptoms you describe to appear in hundreds of households. 

That's what I suspect happened.  Somebody in Verizon could probably confirm or deny this suspicion.  Good luck finding that person.

In my recent case, it turned out to be a fried 327W at my end.  But my symtpoms were different from the oens you describe.