Verizon router placement
masterelectric

I will be having FIOS service installed shortly into my home. I plan on having the fiber run into my garage and placing the network interface in the garage. Can I place the modem there also and use existing Cat6 to carry the ethernet connection to my structured wiring panel?

I also plan on installing FIOS TV and would like to use existing RG6 to carry the TV signal to the same panel. Are both of these scenarios feasible?

I would like to avoid adding equipment to the structured wiring panel if the Verizon interface in the garage will distribute both internet and cable signals.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon router placement
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

masterelectric wrote:

Can I place the modem there

FIOS doesn't use modems.  VZ will provide you with a router that can connect to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) via either coax or cat5.

masterelectric wrote:

[Can I] use existing Cat6 to carry the ethernet connection to my structured wiring panel?

Yes.

masterelectric wrote:

I also plan on installing FIOS TV and would like to use existing RG6 to carry the TV signal to the same panel. Are both of these scenarios feasible?

Yes.

Note.  If you're planning to use wireless, you may not want to place the router in the garage. Locating the router in the garage may not give you the best wireless coverage.

View solution in original post

Re: Verizon router placement
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

masterelectric wrote:

Can I place the modem there

FIOS doesn't use modems.  VZ will provide you with a router that can connect to the Optical Network Terminal (ONT) via either coax or cat5.

masterelectric wrote:

[Can I] use existing Cat6 to carry the ethernet connection to my structured wiring panel?

Yes.

masterelectric wrote:

Yes.

Note.  If you're planning to use wireless, you may not want to place the router in the garage. Locating the router in the garage may not give you the best wireless coverage.