Web Camera Behind Actiontec GT784WNV
grantj

I have a Panasonic web cam set up behind an Actiontec GT784WNV DSL modem/router and I need to set it up for DDNS access from the outside.  I have set it to run on port 8000 and I've tried both Port Forwarding and DMZ and can't see it across the Internet.  The camera is set up at 192.168.1.3:8000 and I can browse to it from the inside.  But if I try from the outside, to [currentdynamicaddress]:8000 is is unable to be found.  What's the trick to setting up port forwarding or DMZ so I can hit this device inside the firewall from the outside?  Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Web Camera Behind Actiontec GT784WNV
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using Internet Explorer by chance to reach the camera from the outside? If you are, add http:// or https:// to the beginning of the URL. Other browsers shouldn't have this problem unless you have to specify HTTPS. Also, if you're simply entering in your IP Address to access the cameras, I would recommend considering a Dynamic DNS address to point to your connection. That should help in the event that your IP address changes.

If you believe the port is not being forwarded properly, use a tool such as http://canyouseeme.org/ to see if the port is reachable from a server on the Internet. You should either get an Open response, a "Refused response" meaning a FIrewall or device is actively refusing the connection, or "Timed out" meaning the port is blocked and is being dropped, or the port forwarding is incorrect.

Start off with the port forwarding rule you've created first. If you could share the rule with us and how it's written, that'd be great. Make sure the Gateway's Firewall isn't set to the maximum level, but is instead set to NAT Only or Level 1 "Low" security.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@grantj wrote:

I have a Panasonic web cam set up behind an Actiontec GT784WNV DSL modem/router and I need to set it up for DDNS access from the outside.  I have set it to run on port 8000 and I've tried both Port Forwarding and DMZ and can't see it across the Internet.  The camera is set up at 192.168.1.3:8000 and I can browse to it from the inside.  But if I try from the outside, to [currentdynamicaddress]:8000 is is unable to be found.  What's the trick to setting up port forwarding or DMZ so I can hit this device inside the firewall from the outside?  Thanks in advance!

What does your port forwarding rule look like? Should look something like this

Local host                                              192.168.1.11 - whatever ip address you assigned it internally

Camera 
TCPAny -> 8000
0 Likes
Starbucky1

Did you ever get this to work?  I'm stuck in the same place.  I have forwarded my port through my DLINK and can see it on the network.  However, I can't see it across the web.  I'm thinking I need to get inside the Verizon modem and forward some port.  HELP!

0 Likes