Westell 7500 won't connect to new desktop.
Carlton4

I bought a replacement computer (off lease Dell Optiplex GS 650) and my Westell 7500 Gateway won't connect to it.

When I run the setup disk, it offers 3 other choices (not the 7500) and then it tells me that my computer doesn't have an ethernet connection which it certainly does.  The wireless is working fine on my laptops.

I had this problem once before when I installed a new hard drive and was able to address it over the phone with Verizon Tech support.

This time I'm getting no support at all, just offers to sell me a software maintenance subscription.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Westell 7500 won't connect to new desktop.
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Maybe your network card isn't enabled.  That's the card that drives the ethernet connection inside the Dell. 

You should be able to start from Control Panel and Network,  but I forget the details.

yoduhh1
Enthusiast - Level 2

try the support live chat - they helped me get my speed problem fixed - of course you will need to use your lap top to get the live chat

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Did you try not using the setup Disk?

#2 If so, are you sure that at least one NIC is enabled?

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

It could be that the NIC in the Dell is disabled if it is on the motherboard.  There should be a BIOS setting for this. You get to it from the boot. It is usually under something like 'Advanced Features' or somesuch.  This would be a setting for Enable/Disable peripheral hardware on the motherboard.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

You can also look under ControlPanel/System/DeviceManager for NetworkInterface cards and see what is there. There should be an actual 'card' specified. Some might be virtual, and one might be wireless, but there should be a 'real' one (like RealTek).

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the modem has already been set up and configured you shouldn't need to run any form of setup utility to get a new computer to work, especially on Ethernet. On an Ethernet connection, provided the NIC is active, it should be a case of plug 'er in and off you go.

Is the PC not getting an IP address? Is it getting a 169.254.***.*** address? Is it getting a Valid IP address but the PC is unable to talk to anything on the network?

0 Likes