What exactly is the Verizon CD for
aliciam1
Enthusiast - Level 1

We received a CD when we signed up for DSL. I am just wondering exactly what the purpose of this disk is?

0 Likes
Re: What exactly is the Verizon CD for
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

I got a CD when I first signed up for DSL. 

It's software that walks you through the process of setting up your DSL link. 

First, it walks you through putting supplied filters in line with all your regular telephone equipment.  This section uses video to make the whole process crystal clear even to a complete neophyte.  Verizon seems to have put in quite a bit of effort to try to get most new customers through this stage without having to call tech support.

The second stage involves plugging the DSL router into the rhe PC via an ethernet cable,  into the phone line via a phone patchcord, and into AC power.  These cables are supplied.  This stage also uses video.

The next stage is a line test.  The video is very limited during this stage.  The test extends to the modem that's built into the DSL router, the phone line itself, the modem at Verizon's end,  and the internet gateway also at Verizon's end.  It logs into the gateway using some kind of all purpose account, with a username like "newDSLUser"  (I forget the exact username).

The final stage involves setting up the user parameters like the accountname and password assigned to this user for internet access, and access to a home page supplied by one of Verizon's partners.  My CD often flamed out in the middle of this stage, but no matter.  It got far enough so I could use the service. 

The video is OK in this stage, but it's a little less simplified that than the first stage.  Perhaps setting up an account is just more abstract than plugging in a filter.  Or perhaps they have ot keep changing it over time to stay in sync with their service.

Overall, it's a good intro to DSL, and most users should be able to get up and running with it without calling a tech.

You may have a different version of the CD.  Your mileage may vary.

aliciam1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. I did not use anything the CD installed as of yet. Even before I installed the stuff the DSL worked fine. The disk says "Set up your Verizon High Speed Internet Service!" Release 8.5.

It was installed on the hard wired tower but we use the laptop via wireless modem most often.

At least two of the items are  real resource hogs.

Any idea how many email addresses we get with the DSL service?

I was hoping someone from Verizon would chime in.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@aliciam wrote:

Any idea how many email addresses we get with the DSL service?

Nine total. One primary account, 8 sub accounts.

@aliciam wrote:

I was hoping someone from Verizon would chime in.

This is a peer-to-peer support forum. If you really want information directly from Verizon, you should contact them. There are options on their Contact Us page. (Although there are quite a few smart folks here on the boards that can answer most questions despite not being Verizon employees.)

Re Verizon CD for high speed internet
william0000

i need new cd {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: Re Verizon CD for high speed internet
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Hi william0000

This is a peer to peer support forum. For that type of assistance, you need to contact Verizon directly via live chat or email at:
http://www.verizon.com/contactus
Choose “Live Chat.”  If a chat agent is available to assist you, the chat link will become live after the page is fully loaded.

0 Likes