Re: Who is MAILSRVCS.NET ?? And why did my email take 22 minutes to be delivered?
Lilia

Thanks for the welcome, EHSFIOS.  I wish I wasn't here...  as I'm sure we all wish we weren't here. 

I have to use Outlook - are they kidding... using their webmail instead???  That's like the dark ages. 

Anyway, my daughter typed a school assignment 4-5 weeks ago and sent it to my email.  That's the one that arrived yesterday.  The email I sent Thursday night was to a large group of people trying to get signatures to get the union to hire our teachers back and the signatures had to be in by Friday morning.  That email arrived Saturday morning.  This is so not acceptable.  I've had email from the beginning of time and NEVER had problems like this. 

And I will continue to warn friends and neighborsabout this who haven't switched yet .  In fact, I think I'm about to write a note to our entire neighborhood association to see who else is having problems.

0 Likes
Re: Who is MAILSRVCS.NET ?? And why did my email take 22 minutes to be delivered?
timo888

cc'ing yourself is probably not a sure-fire way of showing that the email was allowed to exit the Verizon domain and was ultimately accepted by the domain mail servers of your intended recipient and delivered to the actual recipient.  The recipient mail server typically  establishes a conversation with the outgoing mail server, and if the failure is happening at that juncture (if it is ?), then seeing a copy of your email in your own in-box wouldn't be proof of delivery to the actual recipient. Getting a copy of your email would be roughly analogous to the receipt the USPS postal clerk hands you when you send an insured package. It serves as proof only that you tendered a package to the USPS.

0 Likes
jbook

For the last two weeks, I've had email delayed by verizon for up to 24 hours... and often for 3 - 12 hours.  This is totally unacceptable in an age where the expectation is near-instantaneous communications. A delay of a few minutes is fine.. anything more than that is an egregious screw-up on the part of verizon. If this continues, I'm switching back to Comcast.. or running my own mail server.

0 Likes
pfergione

OK - I was one of the original posters on this thread. I asked several times why there wasn't more of a backlash. It seems that in doing my own research, several Verizon customers I know had been experiencing e-mail delays recently. Most just shrugged it off. I don't understand why a customer would not call tech support to let them know about somehing like this.

Anyway, I too PM'ed Techman28 with the header details on the delayed emails.

This morning, I sent 4 emails from my Verizon account through Outlook and all arrived instantly.

Problem resolved?

0 Likes
BostonDelayed

I think there are varying reasons why there hasn't been more of an outcry on the email issue, ranging from the randomness of the delays to people not always using their Verizon email and instead opting for gmails and such. But for those of us who use the Verizon service in its entirety, it's a disaster and I've had several calls into tech support to complain.

I finally resorted to the Auth SMTP relay and I'd like to say a heart-felt "thank you" to the person who recommended it. Rip and replacing Verizon back to Comcast would have been a big hassle I don't have time for. Instead, I'm going to continue publicizing this major issue and kindly suggest Verizon offer to reimburse customers who have had to deploy other methods. We are not paying for an expensive, "superior service" only to have to buy a band-aid in order for it to work.

0 Likes
Lilia

Yes, I'm sure you are correct.  All I know is that this never happened when I was with Comcast for the last 12 years.

I called Verizon Tech Support for an unrelated problem this morning and also asked them about the email delay.  I told him I had used Comcast for many years and Outlook (and Outlook Express going back 15+ years)  and never had this problem.  He continued to tell me to use Webmail when I'm concerned about timely delivery.  He also checked with his supervisor and was told the same thing.  The supervisor told him to tell me to call Microsoft to get the problem fixed.  He said he would put in a tech request and have a supervisor call me back within the hour.  I'm still waiting for that call and will report back if it happens or not.

0 Likes
BostonDelayed

It seems to me that there are different levels of tech support at Verizon- those who read from a script to try to get you off the phone as fast as possible, and those who know when it's appropriate to escalate your issue. I was fortunate to have gotten the latter.

The Microsoft response is applicable when your email is stuck in the Outbox. (And even then it's typically a result of not being able to connect to a server) And by the way, using webmail does NOT speed up the delivery of messages. I personally tested that theory and it was just as delayed as Outlook-sent mail.

When I first contacted Verizon about this problem, I directed the tech rep to this discussion board. He took a look and immediately sent me to another person. Not everyone at Verizon is aware of this email issue, but the ones who are know it well.

The Auth SMTP solution has been flawless for me, thank God. Pretty much saved my consulting business.

Don't hold your breath on a Verizon call back. I was supposed to get a call Friday and I'm still waiting...

Message Edited by BostonDelayed on 06-22-2009 12:08 PM
0 Likes
bbranco

Tell them that the webmail uses the same servers and has the same problem. 

Funny how their technicians don't know the same servers are used for Outlook and for their webmail that sends their email...

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Are we sure this is even a Verizon issue?  The reason I ask is that my yahoo and gmail accts are having the same random issue of emails being delayed. Sometimes by minutes 20-30 and sometimes by days. the last one I sent out via yahoo (not on a verizon connection at all) did not arrive at its location for 3 days.

Do we know if its mailsrvcs.net that is holding the email or is it that once it sends out, the email is just in cyberspace until it arrives at the other location. Email is a send and pray system. there are no checks. email goes out, hits the edge of the isp/hosts network at that point all control is lost. its on the internet with no controls, then once it gets to the other end, then and only then does the other side have control.

Its like verizon is the onramp of the freeway and yahoo (just as an example) is the off ramp at the other end. What happens on the free way in between is anyones guess.

just a question on my end for my own edification

0 Likes
bbranco

I sent a message from Outlook and I sent a message from their web mail interface - both messages were not delivered in seconds, minutes, hours etc...

I then changed my outlook mail to the new service I am paying for, sent a message from Outlook - guess what - message was delivered in seconds.

So you tell me who has the problem? 

This process was done more than once - more than twice, more than 3 times.

0 Likes