Will my NetGear Nighthawk AC1900 router work for the Fios Gigabit Connection?
Alex853
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got off the chat with a support representative who told me that the only router that I can use for the Fios GigabitConnection is the one supplied by Verizon. Somehow I find this hard to believe so here I am asking the experts: folks, if I have this router: 

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (24x8) DOCSIS 3.0 WiFi Cable Modem Router Combo (C7000) 

will it work with the Fios GigabitConnection?

If you believe it will work, is there anything in particular that I need to do, besides connecting the cables? Any reset of any kind , any assistance from Verizon with the swap? I feel like their rent of 12$ / month is not reasonable as you pay off their hardware in less than a year. 

0 Likes
Re: Will my NetGear Nighthawk AC1900 router work for the Fios Gigabit Connection?
jonjones1
Legend

You can use any purchased router you wish. however I am not 100% certain the cable modem router will function properly.

i know that my Nighthawk Works perfectly. But it has no cable modem in it.

your rental is for life of your service. It makes no difference if the Verizon router is paid or not. You could have purchased it at $149 which is now upped to $199

if you do a release of the dhcp first on the old router and immediately disconnect it before it receives an address a simply plug into the ethernet wan on the Netgear should get you on line. But I cannot guarantee a cable modem combo

0 Likes