Wired to wireless DSL
Ch0023r

Alright, this has probably been answered somewhere on these forums, if so I apologize.

My situation: My family purchased Verizon's dsl package about 11 years ago, all hard-wired to the router. I want to go wireless but I'm running into a few snags, here's my situation.

The Westell modem we recieved bircked a few years ago, I have since replaced it with an Actiontec GT701D and I'm still using the original router (D-link DL-604). Wanting to go wireless, I went ahead and purchased a wireless router (Cisco Linksys E900) and a few wireless adapters for our desktops. After installing the software and establishing a new network I am fully connected but I have no internet access no matter what I do. 

I'm at a loss. I'm by no means a networking pro and am probably doing way more harm than good at this point.  I can't really get into the account we set up the service with seeing as it was established 11 years ago and it seems no one had the bright idea to make a record of it. After googling up the process of switching wired to wireless I quickly realized it was a waking nightmare. If anybody can make any coherent sense out of my problem, please feel free to lend some advice.

0 Likes
Re: Wired to wireless DSL
Aleknit
Enthusiast - Level 2

all you need to do is take that old router out. its screwing you up.

should be wire from wall to in of modem,  from modem  ethernet to (in) on new modem..

0 Likes
Ch0023r

"should be wire from wall to in of modem, from modem ethernet to (in) on new modem.."

I have no idea what you just said. Other than that, the old router was not connected.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here's some clarification as to what could be happening.

Right now, you could be trying to Double NAT your router, which is where you're going through two routers performing NAT Translation (Taking a single IP > Making it usable across many devices/IPs). In many situations, you come across an issue where you're trying to Double NAT two routers with the same IP address. For example, 192.168.1.1 which is the default for many routers, ActionTec and Linksys routers among others. If you're in such a situation, the router and Wi-Fi will work but you won't be able to route anywhere as a result. The IPs of each router have to be different, along with the subnet type ideally.

Be aware, that ActionTec modem is ALSO a router, so you could very well be triple NAT'ing through something.

So to fix this, here's what you need to do. Step one, ensure your ActionTec modem has been bridged. This allows the next device in line, your Linksys router to connect up to the connection on a logical basis and handle everything. This also removes the Double NAT issue which game consoles and some other applications do not like. At this point, plugging a computer or device directly into your modem should NOT give Internet.

Second step is to ensure the D-Link is out of the mix. We can set it up as a switch later on it if you need it for additional Wired ports, but otherwise keep it as a spare. So, we'll need to set the Linksys up. In most cases, your Linksys router will need to be set up to use a connection type known as "PPPoE" which is what Verizon uses in most areas for authenticating to the service, and providing you with an IP address. This requires the Verizon Username and Password for your account, but once it's filled in, the Linksys should request an IP address from Verizon and proceed further. In other areas, Verizon uses DHCP which requires you to have your DSL modem switched off for two hours to break the lease on your IP address. From here, simply connecting the Linksys to the modem and turning everything on will allow "Automatic Configuration" to do the work.

So essentially, hook things up as follows:

[WALL JACK] --- [ActionTec DSL router (Bridged) ] ------ [Cisco Linksys E900 (Auto or PPPoE)]

Hope this helps explain things a bit better. Let me know if you still need help. If you know the login information for your D-Link, you can find out how exactly it is set up to get a connection. If it's already using PPPoE your ActionTec modem is likely already bridged, which is a GOOD thing.

0 Likes