Wireless N router - optimal setup
droskill
Enthusiast - Level 2

I know this has been discussed to death but I have two questions on setting up an additional Wireless N router:

1. Connection: I'm connecting one of the FIOS router's LAN ports to the WAN on the new router.  Is that the right way to go?  Or should I be using the WAN port on the FIOS router?

2. I've currently got it configured on 192.168.2.1 - meaning it is on a subnet (I think that's the term), rather than on the default 192.168.1.XX network.  Is this the optimal way to set this up?  If I want to set it up on the main subnet, how would I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Damian

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wireless N router - optimal setup
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

1)  That will work, but it's not the best way.  You'll be double natted behind the Actiontec.  No, you shouldn't use the WAN port of the Actiontec.

2)  A separate subnet is required iwth the LAN-to-WAN configuration.  Again, not the best configuration.  Follow this FAQ for a better configuration:

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

1)  That will work, but it's not the best way.  You'll be double natted behind the Actiontec.  No, you shouldn't use the WAN port of the Actiontec.

2)  A separate subnet is required iwth the LAN-to-WAN configuration.  Again, not the best configuration.  Follow this FAQ for a better configuration:

Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router

droskill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the detailed response.  A follow-on question: how much is network speed hurt by double-nating?  It looks like a fair amount of work to get my system un-double natted so I'm curious to the benefit.  Are there any other benefits?

Thanks again,

Damian

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Double natting won't hurt your speed.

There are two disadvantages:

1)  If you need to open an incoming port, you will need to do so on both routers.

2)  Devices on the 192.168.1.x subnet won't see devices on thre 192.168.2.x subnet and visa-versa.  e.g.  file sharing across subnets won't work.

0 Likes
JoeBoo24
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dont make so complicated.....easiest way...

Lan port  to Lan port.....

disable the dhcp server on the 2 router......simple!   works as an access point, allows the Actiontec to control the routing....

so easy it hurts.

0 Likes
droskill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok - finally got around to trying this - so I have disabled DHCP on the second router, and it appears to be now working as an access point only - but how do I now get to the control panel of the second router?

Also, my access speeds have gone way, way down.  Now sure but this doesn't seem optimal.

Any insight appreciated.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@droskill wrote:

how do I now get to the control panel of the second router?

If you followed the link I gave you above, the secondary router should be at 192.168.1.2.

If you didn't follow that link you may have a problem with both routers trying to use 192.168.1.1.  That would play havoc with your speeds or even prevent you from connecting at all from the secondary router. 

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@JoeBoo24 wrote:

Dont make so complicated  

If you're referring to the link I posted above, there are good reasons for all the steps in that link.

1)  It is necessary to change the DHCP range in the primary router so that a static IP address assigned to the secondary router doesn't conflict with DHCP addresses assigned by the primary router.

2)  A static Ip address on the secondary router assures that it is accessible from the LAN.

3)  Not all routers used as a WAP will assume they are on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

4)  It's necessary to ensure that the secondary router's IP address does not conflict with the primary.

So no, it's not as simple as just moving the cable and turning off the DHCP server.

droskill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the follow-up - I've done a bunch of different things and so far nothing has worked.

1. An Asus support rep suggested configuring the Verizon router as a bridge - this was long and complicated to setup and in the end, delivered poor speeds and had the additional issue of disabling Verizon VOD.

2. So I reset everything and I went back to the LAN-to-WAN setup I had earlier.  I figured that at least I know it works and provides decent (but inconsistent) speeds.  I've got that now.  I also moved both routers downstairs near the TV.  I"m still surprised as the variation in speeds - could this be a function of the setup (I believe the answer is no)?

3. I'd do the setup you've described - but the wife won't allow it right now - sick kids at home so i can't mess too much with the setup.

I guess my question is this: I don't care about double NATing in that I don't open ports, and I just plug in all my devices into the secondary router - so I don't really need them to talk across the subnets.  So should I bother changing the setup?

I'm just trying to figure out how to get anything close to consistency in performance.  I've got the Asus router literally 5 feet from our new smart TV, and the best I can get is about 12000kb (2.4mhz channel) - the best I can do on my computer is around 23000kb down, but the up performance is stuck at 9-12000kb.  My verizon account is setup with 25/25 so I think I should be seeing better average numbers.

Any thoughts about next steps?  Is the Asus router just junk?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Damian

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@droskill wrote:

.... I reset everything and I went back to the LAN-to-WAN setup I had earlier ... I'd do the setup you've described - but the wife won't allow it right now - sick kids at home so i can't mess too much with the setup ... Any thoughts about next steps? ...

"Anti-Phish" has given you the most useful info available (twice).  If you refuse to follow the suggestions and setup indicated, I suspect you will continue to have problems.  There is a reason that the experts on DSLReports make the suggestions that they make.  The reason is that they are both knowledgeable and correct.

At the same time, if you are able to devise improved methods, please share them with the professional networking experts who read these boards (I am not one of them).  I am certain they will appreciate the additional new ideas.  I certainly hope you are able to address your issues to your satisfaction, and good luck.
0 Likes