Wireless Router Question...
MestChic
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently was given a wireless router that was no longer used by someone.  However, it was what they used for Fios.  Can that wireless router also be used for the Verizon High Speed Internet?  Or is there a seperate wireless router used just for that?  It is an Actiontec.

I plugged it in, and it was recognized by my Ipod...because it knew the password from before.  However, I couldn't get internet through it on the Ipod or on the computer.  I'm not sure how to go about doing that.  If it can even be done with high speed internet, with this wireless router.  I'm guessing I would have to go in and do something with the IP address...but I'm not too sure.

http://www22.verizon.com/residential/highspeedinternet/equipment

Its the one that is on the right.

Re: Wireless Router Question...
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The old FiOS router should be usable with the DSL. I have one with DD-WRT installed on it on my DSL line and it works just fine. For the few minutes I had the router online with the Verizon firmware, it worked fine connecting it into my Linksys (now retired).

Log into the router at http://192.168.1.1/ . If the router was used recently and has been taken out of service since, use admin as the Username and the router's serial number as the password. If that fails, use admin/password, admin/password1, admin/admin, or admin/admin1. If that still fails, you can reset the router to Factory Defaults and visit http://192.168.1.1/ so that you can set up your own Username/Password to the router.

I don't know how things are set up your end however. Can you tell us what equipment you're using, such as the modem and current router if you have one besides the ActionTec you just received?

Re: Wireless Router Question...
MestChic
Enthusiast - Level 1

I currently am just using a Westell 6100.  And I have been trying for the longest time to use a NetGear wireless router with it, but have never had any luck setting it up.  So I gave up for a while.  And just recently was given this unused Actiontec one to try, so I wouldn't need to use the Westell then.

I just wasn't sure if it would work with DSL.  Because of the unsuccessful luck I was having with the Westell and NetGear trying to get it into bridge mode and all that I was leery to try this one, I ended up not even being able to get on the internet when I went back to just the Westell, haha.  I guess if worse comes to worse if I mess with the Actiontec one, I will just be calling the support people again.

What if I just plugged everything in, and hit the reset button in the back?  I just don't know how to get it to connect with my computer.  Would that make it like it was brand new and just getting plugged in for the first time?  Would there be a setup page or anything like that.

It just sucks because once I start messing with it, I can't get back on the internet to look up what to do next, because there is no connection.  So I like to have everything planned out and printed out, like directions to follow and what not, before I start messing with stuff.

0 Likes