iChat Issues
akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3

All, I have an iMac and cannot seem to initiate a video chat.  I have checked the posts here and all my ports seem to be in order.  Further, the other party has checked the appropriate boxes in the View menu so they are "viewed."  Under the "router type" in the Connection Doctor I am "full cone" and audio/video is fully functional.  Can anyone shed some light?  TIA.

Re: iChat Issues
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Did you use the preconfigured Apple IChat Port forward.  You can use this link (How to enable BASIC Port Forwarding on the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router,) and when you get to specify protocol, choose apple iChat.

Or did you do it manually, and did you open ALL the ports for iChat?  looks like there are a lot of them.  The following ports need to be opened according to

port forward.com

TCP

5190, 5220, 5222, 5298

UDP 

5060, 5190, 5297, 5298, 5353, 5678, 16384-16403 .

You can use this guide to port forward properly with the actiontec 

akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3

I used the pre configured iChat option, nada.  I have also entered it manually, nada.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you port forwarded properly, then it may be a firewall problem on your pc.   check your firewall settings and make sure there is an exception for the program in both windows firewall and then whatever other firewall you may have purchased.

akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3

My iMac's firewall settings are set for "incoming" for iChat and the FIOS router firewell settings are set at "typical security (recommended)."  I notice on the latter that the inbound policy is "reject."  Could that be my issue?  Should I switch to "minimum" security?

Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think you should do it for a test at the very least yeah.