im about to reset my modem and need steps on how to setup stuff
isaacz752
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm new to these things but i forgot my acc and pass on the 192.168.1.1 to setup a pass because people keep using my wifi and it makes my internet slow like crazy. Can someone provide me proper instructions with well explained details? thanks a lot. 😮

Re: im about to reset my modem and need steps on how to setup stuff
isaacz752
Enthusiast - Level 2

unless there is a way to retrieve my username and password for 192.168.1.1 gateway

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The default Usernames and Passwords for the Verizon Modems/Routers are generally of the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Your Verizon Username and Password

admin/Model Serial Number

Give those a shot first before resetting the modem/router. Once you do get in, make sure you configure the Wi-Fi Radio to use WPA2-PSK security with AES Encryption. If that isn't available, use WPA-PSK with TKIP and set a long password. Avoid WEP if at all possible.

isaacz752
Enthusiast - Level 2

i tried those it dont work.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK. From this point, here's what you need to do. Before resetting your modem, see if you can obtain your Username and Password for the Verizon service, if you don't know this. It would be the same imformation used to log into your Verizon e-mail and Account area. Once you've gotten this information, locate and hold the Reset Button on your router down for 30 seconds.

Once the modem reboots, visit http://192.168.1.1/ on a PC connected to the router using Ethernet. Be aware, you may get a Verizon welcome screen upon opening your browser. IGNORE THIS, IT IS A WALLED GARDEN WE WILL SHUT OFF. The first time you log in, it will ask you for a Username and Password. Use the username of admin and the password of password. Another screen will pop up asking you to change the password. Change the router's password to something you will remember, but is strong enough to not be easily guessed. Save the password, and then log in with your username and the new password. If you are prompted to set up a PPPoE connection, use the Username and Password from your Verizon e-mail/Account page and enter it in. If all goes well, you should see the Internet light come up Green. In some areas, you can also use any User/Pass combination on the PPPoE connection to make it work.

From here, visit http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm or http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect (whichever one works) and press the Disable button. From here, the Walled Garden as mentioned before will be shut off so that you can configure anything else, such as the Wireless settings you wish to use manually.

I hope I covered everything, and I also hope this helps. If you do get stuck or are lost in a step, you can always reset the modem and start over, or you can let the walled garden page perform it's duty and configure the modem (so that it can connect again) for you.