<1mbps download; upload unaffected. Help requested
Paul_H1
Enthusiast - Level 1
Last night my Internet suddenly started having terrible connectivity, seemingly due to packet loss. My speed tests register around 0.015-0.125, which is obviously unusable.

I called customer support and they insist that it must be the router, so they have sent a new one. However, I have tried two routers that I am 99% sure are working and they both exhibit the same problem. I told them this and got a lot of words about how this new router is new! An old router can't push the same kinds of speeds so it will definitely be fixed when it arrives etc. along with other non-sensical and non-technical explanations. All connections are affected, wired or wireless. My connection is PPPoE, and as I signed up during the dark ages (2006) I do not have a new router or any coaxial connections; the Verizon issued router is a DI624 and my other tested working router is a netgear.

I would love to figure out what the problem is. My pings seem fine, my tracert seems fine (although admittedly I am not 100% familiar with it, there don't seem to be any major issues, so if there is something I can do specifically here let me know), and upload speed is fine. The speed test alternates between saying that there are temporary network issues and that there is severe packet loss.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions let me know. This is driving me crazy!

One last thing. My plan was 10/2. I had been meaning to upgrade so today I upgraded to 50/25. It does not seem to be in effect yet on my account info or reflected in my upload speeds (still roughly 2mbps). I was hoping that maybe the upgrade might fix this somehow...pretty desperate.

Paul
0 Likes
Re: <1mbps download; upload unaffected. Help requested
Hubrisnxs
Legend

hey there paul,  

make sure you are hardwired

make sure you test at http://speedtest.verizon.net

make sure you click on the show details link, and then share those with us. 

The dlink should get your 10 mb, it is older and should be replaced, but even still it should get the right speeds.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The DI-624s are beasts for what they are. They shouldn't be having a problem with anything less than 30Mbps.

By any chance have you considered rebooting your ONT? It will wipe out any diagnostic info it has for Verizon to look at but doing this is known to help get things back up and running in some cases. A quick pull of the AC adapter and one of the battery leads, a 10 second wait and a reversal of this process to connect it back up should get the ONT into a clean state. Also, as you have one of the original installs, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try taking a PC to the ONT with a known good Ethernet cable and dialing up a PPPoE connection with a direct connection to it, if possible to rule out the router and an Ethernet cable. If it isn't fixed by doing this it's probably something up with the fiber signal, the ONT, the OLT or something further upstream.

Paul_H1
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thanks you both for the replies. I had already tried resetting the ONT but thank you for the suggestion. I woke up this morning and the problem had mysteriously resolved...and there was a new router waiting for me on my doorstep. So, while I am happy to have a shiny new router I have no idea what the problem was. The only thing now is that the upgrade to 50/25 has not gone through - my speeds are still 10/2. I called to ask about that and they said that the account change was already in effect and that I should talk to technical support...but I have talks to them too much lately so I might wait until tomorrow!
0 Likes