sporadic very slow Internet connection
JayMitch

I've read the other posts, but I'll post my info here as well. I'm very frustrated with service. I have had Verizon DSL for 10 years now on the lower speed setting. A few months ago, I "upgraded" to faster speeds, and I have never seen so many slow downs, drops, and disconnects as I have during this time.

It makes me want to drop Verizon altogether and go with a different provider.

My information:

From router:

Speed(Down/Up)    6208 Kbps / 864 Kbps
     Connection Type:   PPPoE

Transceiver Information    Down Stream Path    Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)    6208                            864
Margin (dB)                       14.3                            10.0
Line Attenuation (dB)       31.0                            18.0
Transmit Power (dBm)     19.8                            11.9

Speed Test results from http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

1.28 Mbps down

0.15 up

tracert results:

news.giganews.com

1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
2 xe-2-3-0.er1.iad10.us.above.net (209.66.64.189) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
3 xe-0-0-0.er2.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.26.234) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
4 above-uu.iad10.us.above.net (64.125.13.174) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
5 0.ae1.RES-BB-RTR2.verizon-gni.net (152.63.32.157) 0 ms 0 ms 0 ms
6 P0-4-0-0.PHLAPA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net (130.81.22.61) 11 ms 8 ms 7 ms
7 P9-0.PHLAPA-FTWSPAFW-ERXG05.verizon-gni.net (130.81.44.195) 7 ms 7 ms 7 ms

ping timings to 4.2.2.2 are > 1500 ms

Also, to be clear I'm not a novice user. I've started and restarted the router, disconnected every device but one from my internal network. The problem is very sporadic and seems to happen without rhyme or reason. When this happens, the internet becomes virtually unusable. Pages load slowly, games don't connect, etc etc.

If I see any slowdown, I can do my ping test and if it is slow, I know immediately I have a problem. When my ping speeds get back to normal (< 50ms) then the network operates as it should.

Sometimes the problem lasts a minute...sometimes hours. It is never predictable.

Thanks for listening.

0 Likes
Re: sporadic very slow Internet connection
timw2

I have used V DSL for a very long time as well.  I was thrilled with it for years.  Then someone took it upon themselves to dump all kinds of security options onto my account, adding $30 worth of charges to my monthly bill.  When I called, those services were cancelled and credit given, however my DSL has been worthless since.  Numerous calls to support yield no help.

Speeds are worse than dial up.  Internet hangs forever, then works for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, then turns to crap again.  Sometimes you get a few hours of good connection, but lately that is RARE.  The repair techs say the line is fine, the modem is fine, the speeds are fine........yet slow speeds and disconnects continue.  Amazing how the issue doesn't occur with them on the phone.  Rebooting the modem sometimes helps for a minute or two, but not always.

It's truly pathetic to get this kind of service after being a long time loyal customer.  I know it's not my computers, as I've used out-of-the-box Dell, HP and an IBM laptop and a Dell laptop.  All new.  No software settings conflicts according to repair tech.  I often hear & read that this kind of service is to be expected in a college town as the load on available service is high.  I guess they are sharing internet created for 3 people to 100 people and we all have to wait for our turn?  Oh well, my turn came and went.  I'm done sharing my internet moments now that cable is only $10 more a month for 5 times the speed and 1 gazillion times the uptime.

So, I ordered cable internet service.  I have exactly one week to suffer this horrible service.  It took nearly 10 minutes to sign up here to post this goodbye message, but it was worth it to me.  This post will most certainly be deleted, but that's okay too.  I know I typed it.

0 Likes
JayMitch

Now it is the morning of the next day, and the internet is "sporadically good". I'll post my info again during a good period.

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision    A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code    4D54
Line Mode    ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path    INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information    Down Stream Path    Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)    6208                              864
Margin (dB)                         12.0                               10.0
Line Attenuation (dB)        31.0                               18.0
Transmit Power (dBm)    19.8                                11.9

Speed Test:

5.25 Mbps down

0.73 up

ping timings to 4.2.2.2 are < 50ms

also verizons disgnostic stats are:

Broadband Speed Test
Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [64512]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 756.36Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 4.39Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows Vista, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.0
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_22

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 65340 bytes.
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 76.81 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 5 packets retransmitted, 160 duplicate acks received, and 162 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 15.32% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 41.58% of the time.
This connection is network limited 43.09% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: OFF
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End

0 Likes
timw2

Last Result:
Download Speed: 644 kbps (80.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 634 kbps (79.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

heh what a joke... that is my speed test results

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Did you try connecting the modem to the NID?

REF: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

0 Likes
RKasp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also very disappointed with their so-called "high speed" Internet. For some reason the speeds on my line regularly, especially from 8-00 to 11-00 pm, fall to ridiculously low values. I know that it's not FIOS and it's not intended for streaming high-quality videos online. But this is really annoying! Speeds sometimes are so low that a regular (not ADSL) modem can do almost the same! And, for example, you cannot watch any video on YouTube at all, even at the lowest resolution, because it can take 5 minutes to load one minute of video (not full-screen, in a small window) !

When I lived in my country, I had ADSL-based internet, I know its limitations, but this is incomparable. Especially bearing in mind that the cost is not 5 dollars per month but much higher! Or they limit the speed on purpose? A bit later, when my financial situation permits, I am going to change the provider.

0 Likes
timw2

I got the cable internet today.  WOW what a difference.  I'll never go back to that disappointing DSL.  Been almost all day and not drop offs, cutting out, resetting the modem... YAY.

0 Likes