verizon sent me an email about reseting my password
nrr1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Last week and twice yesterrday, I received emails from Verizon, giving me new reset passwords I had requested. BUT, I did NOT make any requests to reset my pw.  The emails were from Verizon [so this is not "philshing".] I called them when I got the first email, and the agent thought it was a "glitch" in their system. Now, within 30 minutes of each other, I got two emails yesterday. HELP!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: verizon sent me an email about reseting my password
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon changed their phone verification system from your account number and details to a simple 4 digit PIN, which in my opinion, is less secure.  They don't need your username if they call in - just the phone number and PIN.

Also, if someone can gain access to your online account, they don't need to change your wi-fi password - Verizon lists it on their website, so they could potentially access your wi-fi without you knowing.    You can potentially add a wi-fi router to your setup and turn off wi-fi on the Verizon router so that your wi-fi password could even be kept secret from Verizon.

You probably know this, regardless, never click on any links in emails telling you to reset passwords, as those could take you to a fake site where you are lured into entering your password.  Go directly to Verizon.com and make changes there.  Pick a very difficult, random password with at least 12 characters.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Any chance someone is trying to hack your account by resetting the pw?

I would update my PW and Security questions,  I would also call in and find out if anyone called about your account on those days

nrr1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just call VZ CS, and they found someone DID try logging onto my acct. shortly before each of the pw reset messages. I did change my pw and security question. Anyone who knows my user id, could TRY to logon to my acct., and the pw reset message would be generated. It seems I cannot change my user id. Since I do NOT use verizon mail, and I don't get many phone calls, even if someone did login to my acct. there is not much they could do, except change some of my services.

How someone got my user id is another question.

PS: No one has access to my computer except me.

0 Likes
nrr1
Enthusiast - Level 1

As a followup to my previous post, one SERIOUS issue with gaining access to my VZ acct., would be the ability to change my router PW--allowing the hacker to gain WIFI access to my router.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't treat it lightly.  All sorts of expensive things could be charged to your account, your service could be switched to some other address with you still paying, etc.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Verizon changed their phone verification system from your account number and details to a simple 4 digit PIN, which in my opinion, is less secure.  They don't need your username if they call in - just the phone number and PIN.

Also, if someone can gain access to your online account, they don't need to change your wi-fi password - Verizon lists it on their website, so they could potentially access your wi-fi without you knowing.    You can potentially add a wi-fi router to your setup and turn off wi-fi on the Verizon router so that your wi-fi password could even be kept secret from Verizon.

You probably know this, regardless, never click on any links in emails telling you to reset passwords, as those could take you to a fake site where you are lured into entering your password.  Go directly to Verizon.com and make changes there.  Pick a very difficult, random password with at least 12 characters.

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

OP might want to investigate this 

PASSWORD CREATING HELP TOOL

https://www.grc.com/haystack.htm

0 Likes
nrr1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does Verizon have a 2-step verification system? [My gmail acct from google, has that option: if I try to logon to my gmail acct. from other than my home location, I must enter a second pw (sent to me as a text message on my cellphone)?]

0 Likes