wi fi network speed
JohnJr11

I need to connect a device to the wifi network that only works with 24 GHz. My fios network doesn’t seem to have 2.4GHz.  Both of its networks seem to be at 5GHz

0 Likes
Re: wi fi network speed
jonjones1
Legend

@JohnJr1 wrote:

I need to connect a device to the wifi network that only works with 24 GHz. My fios network doesn’t seem to have 2.4GHz.  Both of its networks seem to be at 5GHz

I am assuming you are using the Fios Quantum G1100 Router?

it is possible your 2.4 Ghz is not turned. You don’t have (2) 5 Ghz and no 2.4

you have 2.4, 5, & guest WiFi networks.

in your manual it shows how to access your WiFi settings. 

0 Likes
JohnJr11

I was given no manual when Verizon instaled the router.

There seem to be two networks;  one has -5G after the name, so I assume it is supposed to be 5Gz, and the other 2.4 GHz.  But both seem to be 5GHz.  Neither is 2.4.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@JohnJr1 wrote:

I was given no manual when Verizon instaled the router.

There seem to be two networks;  one has -5G after the name, so I assume it is supposed to be 5Gz, and the other 2.4 GHz.  But both seem to be 5GHz.  Neither is 2.4.

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

The manual is on the router logon page. A link above is provided.

I have attached a adobe pdf with the manual. Both are not 5 ghz. the one that is 2.4 is the best for farther connections and the 5 ghz is faster but short range.

You could do a few things to see if it can be reset.

The first is to simply push the small reset button on the router. This will put it back to day one as made before use. The account name and password is located on the router on a sticker.

After its factory reset you can then login to the router and look and see if the three networks for wifi are there. 2.4, 5 & guest. Please remember the bands all have wifi passwords and they are on the routers label. You can change these passwords and SSID names if you desire but leave the wifi designations as to ghz alone.

Good Luck

0 Likes
JohnJr11

Thanks very much for trying to help me. However:

Thee are not three networks, there are only two.  One is FIOS-P55CQ, and the second is FIOS-P55CQ-5G.  I know people think I am incopetent when I say there is no 2.4GHz network...However, I have seveal devices that only work on 2.4GHz.  They will not connect here.  But when I have taken them to other houses in the neighborhood they have no problem whatsoever connecting.  So I am certain it is not the device that is at fault.  What could it be other than there not being a 24 GHz network? When I connect my comuters, phones,etc to the two networks, one at a time of course, there doesn't seem to by any difference in downloading speed.

Just for minute suppose I am correct, and there is not 2.4 network.  What can I do?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

I should have asked this question first.

Just what router are you using? An Actiontec or a Fios Quantum Gateway G1100

or something else?

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/fiosinternet/networking/user+guides/user+guides...

This above link shows the router models verizon uses and has used in the past.

I see that the Fios Quantum G1100 is dual band. I looked at some of the others and they are not dual band wireless.

0 Likes
JohnJr11

I am using the Gateway G1100.

0 Likes
JohnJr11

And I have not set up a guest network..thanks for pointing out that I could do that.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Page 37 in the manual states you have a 2.4 & 5 ghz. bands. And a guest wifi.

https://www.verizon.com/cs/groups/public/documents/adacct/fios-qgr-userguide140925.pdf

Again the router is either defective or needs to be reset to factory via he reset button.

1-800-VERIZON  if you call for a tech they will explain that you have what the manual states and maybe able to assist you with a full reset or replacement router.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you have an android device?

If so, download an app called wifi analyzer.

Will show you every SSID being broadcast and whether it is 2.4 or 5G.

Is your assumption that it isn't 2.4 because a 2.4 device can't connect to it?

Is it only 1?

What info do you get if you take another wifi device and connect it to the SSID that doesn't end in 5G?

0 Likes