Cant get the right DVR box.... please help
beepagan

This all started a year ago.  We added a 3rd DVR box and they sent us the black one, which i believe is the 7232.  Our other 2 DVRs were also this model.,  We could not get it to setup properly so we called tech support.  They advised to return it to the nearest store and they would exchange it for us.  When we went to the store we were told they do not carry to model in the store and instead gave us a grey one, 7216 I believe.  So we didnt think anything of it, until we started noticing how much faster that model filled up than our other two boxes.  So about a month ago we called customer service and said we would like the 7232 instead of the smaller 7216 and they told us they would order us a new box.  We could pay 20 dollars for them to ship it to us, or they could send it to the local store for free.  Obviously we had them send it to the store, because why should we pay an extra 20 dollars just to get what we should have had in the first place?  When I went to the store to pick it up last week they told me that they still dont carry the 7232 in the store and that the company never sends boxes to them.  So they gave me the number for tech support.  When I called them, they told me the only thing that could do was to send me a replacement, but that it would be the same model.  Or I could pay a 40 dollar fee and be upgraded to 500 GB DVR box.  They then transferred me to customer service.  The rep told first questioned why I needed 3 DVR boxes in my home, which is none of her business.  She also stated that all the boxes have been upgraded and she didnt know why my local store still had the old models.  I was then told that she could not help me.  I called back the next day and again I was offered the 40 dollar upgrade, which I am not interested in.  When I asked why I was paying 16.99 per box, when 1 of the boxes only has half as much storage space as the others I was told that Verizon charges for the DVR service, not for the size of the hard drive.  Which I find strange, since they twice tried to charge me for an upgrade to 500 GB.  Finally, after getting transferred again I got someone who seemed to have at least half a brain. She told me that she spoke to her supervisor and that I was to go online and order a new DVR box.  When that one arrived, I could return the old 7216 and they would credit me the chrages for adding a new DVR.  Today the DVR was delivered and what do you know?  Its another 7216!  Verizon has already ripped me off for the past year, charging me full price for something with half the storage.  And now I cant get someone who has a clue what they are doing to send me the right DVR box.  Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

0 Likes
Re: Cant get the right DVR box.... please help
AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

beepagan,

Please go to your profile page for the forum by clicking on your name, and look down the middle towards the bottom where you will find an area titled "My Private Support Cases".

There you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions.

AnnieS

0 Likes
beepagan

ok thank you very much

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@beepagan wrote:

This all started a year ago.  We added a 3rd DVR box and they sent us the black one, which i believe is the 7232.  Our other 2 DVRs were also this model.,  We could not get it to setup properly so we called tech support.  They advised to return it to the nearest store and they would exchange it for us.  When we went to the store we were told they do not carry to model in the store and instead gave us a grey one, 7216 I believe.  So we didnt think anything of it, until we started noticing how much faster that model filled up than our other two boxes.  So about a month ago we called customer service and said we would like the 7232 instead of the smaller 7216 and they told us they would order us a new box.  We could pay 20 dollars for them to ship it to us, or they could send it to the local store for free.  Obviously we had them send it to the store, because why should we pay an extra 20 dollars just to get what we should have had in the first place?  When I went to the store to pick it up last week they told me that they still dont carry the 7232 in the store and that the company never sends boxes to them.  So they gave me the number for tech support.  When I called them, they told me the only thing that could do was to send me a replacement, but that it would be the same model.  Or I could pay a 40 dollar fee and be upgraded to 500 GB DVR box.  They then transferred me to customer service.  The rep told first questioned why I needed 3 DVR boxes in my home, which is none of her business.  She also stated that all the boxes have been upgraded and she didnt know why my local store still had the old models.  I was then told that she could not help me.  I called back the next day and again I was offered the 40 dollar upgrade, which I am not interested in.  When I asked why I was paying 16.99 per box, when 1 of the boxes only has half as much storage space as the others I was told that Verizon charges for the DVR service, not for the size of the hard drive.  Which I find strange, since they twice tried to charge me for an upgrade to 500 GB.  Finally, after getting transferred again I got someone who seemed to have at least half a brain. She told me that she spoke to her supervisor and that I was to go online and order a new DVR box.  When that one arrived, I could return the old 7216 and they would credit me the chrages for adding a new DVR.  Today the DVR was delivered and what do you know?  Its another 7216!  Verizon has already ripped me off for the past year, charging me full price for something with half the storage.  And now I cant get someone who has a clue what they are doing to send me the right DVR box.  Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Hello,

Just a few things:

1) If you order a set top box (STB) online or over the phone, you have two options of obtaining the STB, either:

• by mail directly to your home (with a $19.99 shipping fee), 

OR 

• store pick-up at a local FiOS TV store (no fee).

Verizon Customer Service does not mail the STB to the store as the stores carry their own inventory of equipment.

2) There are three models of Motorola DVRs in circulation:  6416, 7216 and 7232.  For a Cisco account, there is only the 435 model. The 7232 is the latest Motorola model with an inherent drive of 500 GB.  There are also a few 7216-2 models in circulation with a 500 GB drive.  The usual 7216-1 DVR model has 160 GB.

3) When an STB is ordered online or over the phone (DVR or regular STB with HD-capability), you'll get shipped whatever  STB model is available at the distribution facility at the time. 

Hence, the DVR (or regular STB with HD) model you'll receive in the mail is not guaranteed. 

This would be a similar scenario if you walk into a local FiOS TV store to pick-up an STB, it depends on what is in stock.

This goes the same way if a technician arrives with STBs in tow for the installation (you'll get what is on hand at the local garage).

This is also the case if Technical Support were to mail out a replacement STB.

A majority of the time by mail, it would likely be the 7216-1 model for the DVR, and the 7100-P1 model for the regular STB with HD-capability.  Both STBs are silver in color and are relatively good models.

There are times you can get lucky and the 7232 DVR can get mailed out to/installed at your home, or be the model available in stock at the local FiOS store.

For a list of FiOS TV equipment and models, please see this link:  http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/tv/fiostv/receivers/equipment+issues/top+questions.htm

4) In order for existing customers to get more storage space on their older DVRs, they can order an eSATA drive or a 500 GB DVR.  Both can be ordered online only through a specific section of the website.  It cannot be ordered through the usual STB  ordering process.

1. Go to www.verizon.com and sign-in with your Verizon userid/password.
  2. On the browser's address bar, paste the following link exactly as it appears and hit enter (you may need to paste it twice): https://www22.verizon.com/fiostv/myservices/members/DvrExpansion.aspx
  3. You should see the two ways to expand your DVR storage: 
    • option 1 is to order an eSATA drive, and
    • option 2 is to order a 500 GB DVR.  
  4. Select the option you'd prefer.

5) Verizon's Customer Service would mention ordering the upgraded DVR via the website with a one-time equipment upgrade fee of $39.99 if you specifically want the 500 GB DVR (option 2) as that upgrade process guarantees the specific type of DVR that will be shipped to you.

It's unfortunate that you have had quite a bit of trouble getting a 7232 DVR set top box replaced.  

In the same token, you were quite fortunate to have received it (and two other 7232 DVRs) in the first place without needing to pay $39.99 apiece.  

Many folks had to wait for the 7232 to be made available for purchase.   Cat Surprised

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/Verizon-FiOS-DVR-Storage-Expansion/td-p/27...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/HD-STB-s/m-p/284451/highlight/true#M24828

Somewhere along the line, it may have been worthwhile to have received an explanation/clarification of the process so that you didn't have to go through a series of disappointing experiences.

Another suggestion would be to call the store beforehand to ensure that they have what you're looking for and explain your particular scenario before making the trek (twice). 

Also, you could recheck whether it is a 7216-1 or a 7216-2 that was sent by mail or picked up at the store (however, one wouldn't quickly foresee the difference in STBs at the time).

For what it's worth, I hope this post provides some sort of clarity to your distress,

and that Verizon is able to assist you for the inconvenience.

0 Likes
Re: Can't get the right DVR box.... please help
beepagan

I appreciate your response Becca.  However I still have a couple concerns.  I have been told repeatedly that the two other boxes I have are 320GB models, not 500GB models.  Is this the case?  Not to mention that the whole "can't control what box you get unless you pay a fee" is ridiculous.  When I go buy a cup of coffee I dont pay the same price as everyone else and the server just grabs whatever size cup the have handy.  The grab the size I order, and the price corresponds with that size.  Does that make any sense?

0 Likes
22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

@beepagan wrote:

I appreciate your response Becca.  However I still have a couple concerns.  I have been told repeatedly that the two other boxes I have are 320GB models, not 500GB models.  Is this the case?  Not to mention that the whole "can't control what box you get unless you pay a fee" is ridiculous.  When I go buy a cup of coffee I dont pay the same price as everyone else and the server just grabs whatever size cup the have handy.  The grab the size I order, and the price corresponds with that size.  Does that make any sense?

Hello once again,

If you take a look at the front lower left section of your STB, the model number would be indicated.  

The 7232 DVR model has 500 GB of storage space.  

Do you have the model numbers of your other STBs (DVRs)?

Also, the monthly charge for a single-room DVR is $16.99 (national).  For a multi-room DVR, it is $19.99 (national).

A regular STB (with HD-capability) is $11.99 (national).  There are equipment bundle discounts available for having more than 1 HD STB and/or a MRDVR (plus other STBs) in the account.

The DVR model is not included/specified in the monthly charge.

All DVRs have the recording/pausing functionality (whether it is a Motorola 6416, 7216, 7232 or Cisco 435);

hence the higher monthly charge compared to a regular STB.

The difference in the DVRs is the storage space, and as with any equipment, newer models get introduced into the inventory over time.  Folks are given options on how to upgrade their older equipment. 

Lastly, if I walk into a store that serves both Dunkin Donuts coffee and Starbucks coffee, but on their menu board, they only have an item called "coffee", then some people will get the Dunkin Donuts brand while some will get the Starbucks brand, depending on what they have in stock.

However, for those who really want to ensure that they get Starbucks coffee, then they ask for it and are willing to pay extra for it.

Cat Wink

I understand your frustration, though, in light of the circumstances, and hopefully things get resolved for you.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

also keep in mind, if you look at your 7216   if it has a -2 (QIP7216-2) then that has a 500gb hard drive as well, and is an adequate replacement for the 7232 

Edit:  I see Becca Pointed that out,  sorry.

0 Likes