DVR function keeps disappearing
chetgretsch

I have had FIOs internet since 2007 and have an MI424 router that I have never updated the firmware on. 

I put in FIOS tv about a month ago with the MultiRoom DVR (Motorola box). The DVR functions on the box keep disappearing every few days. I'll go to hit pause or record and the box just ignores those commands. I reset the box by unplugging, and the functions all re-appear. 

Last week, all of the programs that I had recorded just disappeared and the DVR says 100% capacity available (it was at about 90 before this happened). So the VZ tech just sent me out a new box that I have to install and activate. 

But what I am wondering is whether the problem is with the router and not the STB. So I went to check the router to see if I should upgrade the firmware. Now, my problem is that I cannot log into the router. I know the password that I had there, but it is not taking. I saw something here about VZ resetting router passwords to the serial numbers so I will try that. 

But my overall question is this: Does anyone think that my problems are related to my router and not my STB, and that I will eliminate them by installing the latest firmware on the router? 

0 Likes
Re: DVR function keeps disappearing
mphare
Contributor - Level 2

The router does not have anything to do with DVR functions.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

The loss of DVR functions like pause or record have nothing to do with your router.  It sounds like the issue may be the fact that you are running the DVR at 90% plus full.  Keep in mind that if there isn't room on the drive you may not be able to record (I know the DVR is supposed to delete the oldest recordings when space is needed, but I have also seen complaints that it doesn't operate as explained).  Also, the DVR is always buffering (recording) the 2 tuners - that is how you get pause to work.  Would seriously suggest keeping the DVR less full in the future.

As for the router firmware, Verizon does a push to the router, there should be no reason for you to have to manually update the firmware.  If you need to gvet into the router and can't remember the PW you can reset the router to all defaults by pressing and holding the reset on the rear of the router for 15 seconds (might need a paper clip as the button is behind a hole).  The login and password will defalut to admin and password respectively and require you to change them after logging in.

chetgretsch

Thanks for the replies.

As for the capacity -- I had the DVR at only 10% full (its a pretty new box). Sorry to mislead.

But I am happy to know that I don't have to worry about the router in this equation. So I am guessing that the DVR is the problem which is good since a placement box is on its way. 

What worries me is that the old DVR worked well for about a week and then began losing the functions and then finally just deleted all of the recorded shows. I am hoping that I don't experience the same things with the new box. 

BTW - Keyboards. Nice B3 icon.

0 Likes