DVR not responding
georgema

When I try to check my DVR settings from my computer all I get is a message that the DVR is not responding.  Where do I go from here?

0 Likes
Re: DVR not responding
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

First thing to check....with the DVR remote go to Menu > Settings > Remote DVR Access > Web Access.  Make sure the status is enabled.  If not, follow the instructions there how to enable web access.

0 Likes
smithroadtrip
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am so frustrated with our DVR.  We got it in November, and the ability to remotely schedule using the computer is hit or miss.  I have contacted several different techs via the Facebook Fios and all are well meaning, but the problem continues.  We have swapped out both the DVR and router when a tech suggested that was the problem.  The only time I am able to schedule (for a while) is when we reset both the DVR and the router.  Then, for a day or two, I try to schedule as many as I can.  Within a day or two, I get the messages of either "Bad Gateway", "DVR not responding" or "Recording failed."

This does not seem like a difficult problem to solve.  Can anyone help?  It is frustrating to have to reset every other day.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@smithroadtrip wrote:

I am so frustrated with our DVR.  We got it in November, and the ability to remotely schedule using the computer is hit or miss.  I have contacted several different techs via the Facebook Fios and all are well meaning, but the problem continues.  We have swapped out both the DVR and router when a tech suggested that was the problem.  The only time I am able to schedule (for a while) is when we reset both the DVR and the router.  Then, for a day or two, I try to schedule as many as I can.  Within a day or two, I get the messages of either "Bad Gateway", "DVR not responding" or "Recording failed."

This does not seem like a difficult problem to solve.  Can anyone help?  It is frustrating to have to reset every other day.

In the last couple of years I have had to do the reset thing maybe 3 or 4 times. So it can work, and pretty reliably.

You don't by chance turn off the router every night, or power down the DVR do you? I think (but do not know for sure) that there are rules that get set in the router for the DVR, and if something in your local router/DVR network changes, like the IP address for the DVR, then the router doesn't do a good job of recognizing that things have changed. Just like for the Caller ID on the TV, that has worked for me for 1 1/2 years with maybe three failures, and each time it seemed like it was after Verizon reset the DVR or I pulled power for some reason, or we had a power failure in the house.

One thing you might do to try to pin it down is to first make sure it is working, then log into the router and write down the IP address for the DVR (will be 192.168.1.100 or 101, something like that). Then the next time it fails, check again and see if the IP address has changed.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
smithroadtrip
Enthusiast - Level 2

The router stays on 24/7, but we turn off the DVR every time we finish watching TV (for all our sets).  I'll make sure that stays on from now on.

Can you refresh my memory how to reset the whole thing?  We unplugged the DVR, waited for the time to appear again; turned off then on the router, and I even reebooted my computer, but we are still unable to remote program.

Thanks, Sue

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@smithroadtrip wrote:

The router stays on 24/7, but we turn off the DVR every time we finish watching TV (for all our sets).  I'll make sure that stays on from now on.

Can you refresh my memory how to reset the whole thing?  We unplugged the DVR, waited for the time to appear again; turned off then on the router, and I even reebooted my computer, but we are still unable to remote program.

Thanks, Sue

First, about turning the DVR off. There is really no benefit in doing that, the Verizon (Motorola) DVRs draw pretty much the same amount of power whether they are turned on or off. As I remember it, about the only difference between being on or off is that the outputs to the TV are turned off when the DVR is off. But all the electronics and the hard drive run so that scheduledrecordings can be done, the Guide can be updated, etc. I leave mine turned on 100% of the time, I have had it for 5 1/2 years, still works perfectly. And if you have the remote control set to turn both the TV and DVR on or off with one button push, there is a procedure for separating it so that only one device turns on or off when you push the Power button on the remote.

Turning off the DVR should not affect in any way whether remote access works or not; to prove that I just turned my DVR off and then accessed it successfully via the web. What I was referring to was pulling the electrical power to the DVR, by perhaps pulling the plug or using a surge protector and turning that on or off thus removing all power from the DVR.

Now to the process; shoot, I don't really know for sure, but I will give it a shot:

1) As eljefe said earlier, make sure that Web Access is Enabled on the DVR.

2) Try to access the DVR from the web. If you get the "DVR not responding" message, then I think the issue is probably that the IP address of the DVR has changed and the rules in the router no long match. So what I would do is remove power from the DVR and the router. Then power up the router, wait until it is working (all lights green etc) then power up the DVR. This should (I hope) force the DVR to get everything set up properly again. Now try again, hopefully it works. If not, I don't know.....

3) If you get the "Bad Gateway" message, I think that means that the web server cannot properly identify you or reach your network (the router). For this, I don't know, but it can't hurt to try what I suggested in step 2.

4) If you get the "Recording Failed" message, to me that means that you were able to get to the DVR but for some reason it could not set up the recording. This I think is usually due to something like insufficient space or a conflict with an already scheduled recording. The only thing I can suggest here is try to do the recording setup on the DVR itself and see if it will take.

A comment on all of this: unfortunately Verizon has done a pretty lousy job of documenting how a number of these functions, like Remote DVR and Caller ID on TV,work, and a lously job training their support staff also. So a lot of this is trial and error, or guesswork. I wish mine would fail, then maybe I could document the process I used to get it working, but it has now been so long that at my age all of that information has been lost when the brain cells containing it died Smiley Very Happy

I hope the above helps. Please be sure to come back with your results so that others will benefit from your efforts, whether you are successful or not. And if you still have problems perhaps someone else here will see something and come up with the magic words. Good luck.

Keller, TX 76248

henry567

I have the same issue and they cannot figure it out, they just continue to waist my time

0 Likes
Seekandfind

I have had FIOS Internet for a year or two and love it. 

I got FIOS TV last week and I HATE IT! !  I have created lists, literally, of all that fails, blurs, won't turn on, won't record, recording failed, can't see the time change on Fast Forward or Reverse, ETC.!

They do plan to get someday send me a new DVR because my brand new one failed a few tests.

BUT, I get this exact message on the internet of recording failed when I attemp to program my DVR from the internet.  For a few days it worked.  I didn't shut anything off except Verizon reset my system a few times to gain signal.

Now I cannot add about 50 series into the programming without receiving that error!

It is so frustrating.  To enter them by hand is time consuming and the remote is not very responsive so it takes double time.  Please let me know how to fix this problem of programming.

I am able to delete anything and create parental controls (within the software limitations), but I cannot program to record a show or series no matter what time it is on without the "recording failed."

Thank you

0 Likes