External Hard Drive
kawnmuffin

Can I use a USB hard drive with a USB to ESATA adapter on my 7232 DVR ?

0 Likes
Re: External Hard Drive
AtomicRooster
Contributor - Level 1

If it is not on the list of compatible equipment I would not waste the money to experiment.  On the other hand, if you are handy and do not mind tinkering....The idea behind E-SATA is to prohibit end-arounds to the copy protection schemes. Your idea is a good one, but if there is any chance someone could use such a set-up to pirate content, I think that set-up would not be able to be used. 

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
It will not work.

@kawnmuffin wrote:

Can I use a USB hard drive with a USB to ESATA adapter on my 7232 DVR ?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As nascar said ... it won't work.  It's not due to content protection as was referenced in the other post, but really one of thruput.  The USB connection path simply doesn't have the I/O rates needed to support the data transfer to/from the disk that is required.  For that matter, even with eSATA, you still need to make sure you have a drive which has sufficient data transfer rates to handle the I/O or you'll end up with lots of pixelizations and other dropouts on the recordings (thus why they have certain drive recommendations -- although technically, if you find a different drive which meets or exceeds those specs, you'll be fine).

0 Likes