FIOS TV & Internet - Apartment Contract
brentdga

I have just moved into an apartment complex in Tampa where FIOS TV is prepaid as part of our rent.  The problem however, is that Verizon seems to deal with us in a different way since we are pre-paying for our tv.  When we add together the tv boxes and internet, things end up being far more expensive then if we were not living in this complex that is already pre-wired for FIOS (not to mention we still seem to be charged installation fees).  I would really like this explained.  We are not able to take advantage of any offeres, which really makes it more cheaper to go with another cable/satellite company and still pay the $45 for cable to Verizon that is in the lease.

Can someone explain this deal, and how it benefits Verizon, the apartment complex, and the residents?

0 Likes
Re: FIOS TV & Internet - Apartment Contract
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@brentdga wrote:

I have just moved into an apartment complex in Tampa where FIOS TV is prepaid as part of our rent.  The problem however, is that Verizon seems to deal with us in a different way since we are pre-paying for our tv.  When we add together the tv boxes and internet, things end up being far more expensive then if we were not living in this complex that is already pre-wired for FIOS (not to mention we still seem to be charged installation fees).  I would really like this explained.  We are not able to take advantage of any offeres, which really makes it more cheaper to go with another cable/satellite company and still pay the $45 for cable to Verizon that is in the lease.

Can someone explain this deal, and how it benefits Verizon, the apartment complex, and the residents?

If it works the same way my Grandmothers does, Verizon has an agreement with the apartment management/owners to be the official provider. They dont actually provide service to you, they provide it to the apartment complex. They have a special package price that was agreed upon by the apartment owner/management for your location. Now I dont know about your's, but in the case of my grandmother, she pays for it whether or not she uses it. It's "included" with her rent. If she wants another provider (lets say TWC for example) she still pays for Verizon. Now in her case it works out fine as she is very happy with Verizon. The problem is that when she has issues, she has to deal with a special "apartment subscriber number" at Verizon. General Verizon employee's cannot even access her systems. In some cases, this works out cheaper than everyday prices but in many cases, the apartment complex pays extra for the ability to not have individual contracts with each resident.

0 Likes
brentdga

Our problem here is that nobody working for the apartment complex knows anything beyond we get "free cable" for our $45 cable fee that is part of rent.  They didn't even know we had to pay for the boxes to receive it.

I understand the concept of the deal, I just don't understand how it is effective for either party in this case.

0 Likes
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Unfortunately, it's a good deal for everyone except the renter (sometimes okay for the renter).  The apartment complexes wouldn't do it if they didn't make money on the deal and the providers get guaranteed revenue.  It works out okay for the renter if they accept that service and nothing more, but many want extra services and end up paying more than those who bundle.

0 Likes