FIOS outage...Maryland...NO FIOS SERVICE!
dep825

TV, Internet and Phones (full FIOS package) out of service from noon today...tech support clueless...website useless for getting info...service update" doesn't even load.....what in WORLD am I paying for? ...is there a system wide outage?...WHY don't they put something ont he webiste if the whole dam thing is broken?...or if just an area is busted?.....no help at all....certainly going to insist on a day's credit....VERY disappointing as a fairly new subscriber...I had heard FIOS was robust......FAIL!

0 Likes
Re: FIOS outage...Maryland...NO FIOS SERVICE!
prisaz
Legend

@dep825 wrote:

TV, Internet and Phones (full FIOS package) out of service from noon today...tech support clueless...website useless for getting info...service update" doesn't even load.....what in WORLD am I paying for? ...is there a system wide outage?...WHY don't they put something ont he webiste if the whole dam thing is broken?...or if just an area is busted?.....no help at all....certainly going to insist on a day's credit....VERY disappointing as a fairly new subscriber...I had heard FIOS was robust......FAIL!

It could be just an isolated area or a bad OLT board in the fiber plant, a cable cut somewhere. Contact Verizon and the can pinpoint it. I am just North of you in Germantown, Maryland and my service did not go down.

This goes to point out why a status page is so difficult to implement. There are so many diverse locations that could be down for many reasons. Now if all Email, or anything else that caused system wide problems. Yes something that could say this area is down or that area is down would be good. My service never goes down. NEVER. I think twice since 2005, and that was only for a brief issue with DNS. But I have had my share off issues with Email, just like everyone else. It would be nice to have a page that says "We are having difficulty with Email services and expect to have the service restore in ......".

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Prisaz is right

It could be a number of things.

No Fios will not go down system wide. Just wont happen. It will either be just you, just your neighborhood, or just your local area served by your CO.

It could be...

a neighbor doing construction in their yard, cut the line to your service (it happens)

Your ONT going out (doent happen much but like any piece of electronics, failure is always a possiblity)

A drunk driver taking out an aerial support poll or the fios distribution box in your neighborhood

road construction cutting one of the main feeder fibers for your CO

A fire in the CO damaging the fios equipement

and these are just the ones that I have seen in and around my neighborhood over the last 5+ years. In the worst case my service was out for 6 hours once (the fire in the CO, fire department wouldnt let them back in to repair right away)

All of which are outside Verizon control. Now when this happens they fix it very quickly and always have adjusted the bill accordingly (most of the time without me even having to call)

fenianpunk

all 6 of my set top boxes wen tdown at 7:45 pm this evening. Internet and phone work though. Weird eh? Followed the reset instructions that didnt help. Can't get any body on the system chat, they say they are all busy...any body with any ideas?

on a comical note... I hit spell check and it didnt recognize "Fios", it kept asking to replace it with "bios"...lol

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@fenianpunk wrote:

all 6 of my set top boxes wen tdown at 7:45 pm this evening. Internet and phone work though. Weird eh? Followed the reset instructions that didnt help. Can't get any body on the system chat, they say they are all busy...any body with any ideas?

on a comical note... I hit spell check and it didnt recognize "Fios", it kept asking to replace it with "bios"...lol

I tell it to learn FiOS but it never does. My FiOS TV is working. Call tech support, you will have to wait on hold, but they are 24/7. Use the contact us link at the botton of this page. Best advise I could give right now.

0 Likes
cachelot
If you're located in Laurel or the southern Columbia area in Maryland, then we are in the same boat. I called in to report our problem at about 4:30 p.m. No phone, TV, or internet access. After talking to 2 different people I was told there was some kind of main disruption in the Laurel area and they already had crews out trying to isolate/locate the issue. They sent me a case # at 5:00 p.m. via text message on my cell phone (which is not using Verizon wireless - thank goodness). When I was on the phone with them and asked for an ETA for fixing the issue, she just repeated that crews were already out trying to isolate the issue but she knew it had to be something significant due to the area affected. When the text message came, however, they did have an ETA of 5/12/12 at 7:28 a.m. on it. We'll see I guess. Like someone else who responded here, we've had FIOS since it first became available in our area (several years now) and this is the first interruption of service like this that we have had. If you're new to FIOS, you may complain about cost or customer service, but I do have to say their network reliability has been fantastic for as long as we've been with them. Hope this helps. I also agree with other posters that there should be an announcement on their website, easily accessible, for local outages. As I was looking for additional information, even having an open case, I was bounced here and there without being able to find anything at all about this outage. Luckily, I have an iPad with 3G through AT&T so I can still access email and the internet.
0 Likes
cachelot
I didn't realize the original post I was responding to was from 2010, but at least the info. I provided may help someone else out regarding today's outage (Friday, May 11, 2012) in the Laurel/Columbia, MD area.
0 Likes
Dukeofearle1

Well, I'm not sure of the problem, although I was told by tech support it was a cut wire....I think this is an optional reply to get you off the phone call.  BUT I don't buy it....I've been out for close to 48 hours now.  I could have fixed a cut wire myself by now.  I think there is something bigger going on.  Bottom line...maybe I should get a 2 day credit for my trouble, or at least a re-imbusement of the data cost I incurred for using the "hot spot" on my smart phone.  I'm sure Phoenix, Maryland is notthe only area effected by this outage.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over eight years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes